Miracle of Saint Mary


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
May 5th 2012
Published: May 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

St MarySt MarySt Mary

At the bottom you can see the oil seeping
Yesterday we found our way to “The Miracle of Saint Mary” in a neighborhood not far from where we are staying. This phenomenon is tucked away and only famous to the locals. There is a picture of Saint Mary which produces oil. It produces so much in fact that it seeps thru the wall to the other side. It leaves a place for cotton to be laid, soaked and sold to the people for blessings. A small group of Christians, Muslims and Alawis come to pray there every Saturday.

Later – we went to Samandağ to witness the celebration of Hizir. There the people walk in the temple, kiss the stones and write wishes onto small pieces of paper that they then throw – without looking – into the sea which is only a few feet away. I was told that you should not watch your paper – turn your back and don’t look back. Although the ritual was fairly casual, the people were still in a festive mood – chatting, sharing cookies and enjoying the sea. The moon was full and you could see the beautiful mountains in the distant – and even further – the lights from Syria.
WallWallWall

This is the other side of the wall - where the oil seeps thru
My wish came from a friend who could not make it– he prays for peace there. (And everywhere)


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

HizirHizir
Hizir

This is where the procession starts


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb