Even more ancient Turkish delights


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
May 4th 2012
Published: May 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

XanathosXanathosXanathos

Theatre
Xanthos the Lycian capital ( 8th C BC), a fortified citadel.

Site of a famous battle where, rather than be taken captive by the Romans (They had refused to pay taxes to the Romans) the defeated Lycians put their women & children to death by burning the citadel, and then fighting to the death. Brutus was so appalled by the sight of a woman & her young baby being burned that he tried, unsuccessfully, to stop the fighting.

Now a wonderful ruin with, agora, streets, dining hall, Lycian tomb & monument with Lycian script and a copy of the frieze on the capital with sirens ( original now in British museum) also has an Ottoman church and marble paved street.

Lunch at the abandoned Greek village. Turkish gozleme cooked the traditional way. Village was abandoned in 1923 after the Lausanne treaty which repatriated reciprocally, Greeks and Turks, even though they had lived relatively harmonously for centuries in these countries. Oh the madness of war & politics!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

XanthosXanthos
Xanthos

Citadel walls
TombsTombs
Tombs

Lycian rock carved tombs
Abandoned churchAbandoned church
Abandoned church

The Greeks left in 1923 and the village was abandoned.
Mediterranean SeaMediterranean Sea
Mediterranean Sea

Glorious views at every turn!


8th May 2012

am very envious of your travels and the great sights you are experiencing. Keep the photos coming= am enjoying them

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb