November 30th


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Antalya
December 2nd 2013
Published: December 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We were now headed for Antayla on the south coast of Turkey. We drove along a range of mountains that at first were sparsely cover with small twisted trees and dry brown grasses until they rose to sheer rock faces. As we moved farther south, the tree cover grew denser. We saw apple orchards and stretches of thick pine. The mountains grew taller and sharper, no longer soft sided ancient and worn, these were sharp thrusting rock with the road winding through valleys, turning corners to beautiful vistas. Then we met a mountain range running perpendicular to the one we had been following. Once we crossed over this range the climate changed dramatically. Now trees were green, not leafless. We could see the oranges on the branches. There were palm trees. This was the Mediterranean. Antayla is bigger than Istanbul for tourists, many Germans and Russians here. Our hotel was located in the marina, which was full of beautiful wooden sail boats. The old city circles around the marina so there are many twisting narrow streets. We went to the beach after checking in and lunch. Jacob swam, he says it wasn't that cold once you were all the way in. From the beach you watch the sun set into a mist blue ridge of mountains. It was beautiful. In the morning, Jacob and I meandered through the Bazaar, walked along the promenade bordering the cliffs of the water edge, went to see Hadrian's three arched gate into the old city, and then wandered though the windy streets of the old city. The walls protecting the old city are mainly still intact. The reach up 100s of feet. There are orange trees with just ripening oranges everywhere, and cats. We have seen many cats and dogs free roaming in Turkey, but Antayla has more cats than anywhere. On our walk we saw a cat shelter in one of the parks where there was a cover cat apartment building with food and people cleaning it. There were also ducks, chickens, a rabbit and a peacock. I seems that everyone loves the cats, and will care for all the strays and their kittens. The sun was warm on our backs and the city is beautiful, we both thought that we could have stayed here for a week. But now we needed to be back on the bus to head for Pamoukele, another 5 hour drive before supper, backgammon, and bed.

Good Night and Sweet Dreams

Advertisement



6th December 2013

Gilly - I missed your blogs! Thanks for catching up; Turkey looks beyond belief. I love the carved into the rock buildings and the hot air balloon looked very exciting. And you'll be home soon, could life be better? Jean

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb