Olympos and our Cruısıng Days


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Antalya
June 4th 2006
Published: June 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

5/30-6/4

We left Cappadocia and headed for another endurance testing 14 hour overnight bus ride. Our final destination was Olympos, a National Park with several miles of gorgeous beaches and lush coastal mountains. The locals are forbidden from building the typical accomodations so several tree hut villages have popped up, encouraging hippie backpackers from all over the world to visit. Andrew and I fit right in with our Wall Street resumes.

Our tree hut was secured by a lavish rusted out master lock whıch was really for show because you could easily enter through the gapping holes in the walls and roof (affectionately termed "central ventilation system").

There were local ruins dating back to 300BC to explore, as well as several fun hiking trails offering dramatic views. Unfortunately, I came down with what we can only label as rare Turkish Fever while staying here, so Andrew did a lot of exploring on his own. We did manage to venture up to the top of Mount Olympos where natural flames have burned for thousands of years due to cracks ın the mountaın releasıng flammable gases. This was the starting point for the original Olympics of ancient Greece.

We
Life in the tree hutLife in the tree hutLife in the tree hut

just like the Upper West Side.
signed up for a 4 day, 3 night boat tour geared primarily toward backpackers and we met 12 other travelers mostly from Australia and New Zealand. The group got along really well and needless to say there was a fair amount of drinking to fill the time between swimming and eating. Stops included Kas, Sunken City, Butterfly Valley, and St Nicholas Island (home of Saınt Nick where the legend of Santa Claus began). Jaime was still suffering from Turkish Fever when we first got on the boat- and that would prove to be the most apparent aspect of our 4 day adventure. We struggled daily with our portable medicine chest and finally by the last day, Jaıme's temperature subsided and she started to feel better. Needless to say, she couldn't have wıshed for a better "Doctor". Also, I'd argue the boat was built for midgets because I continued to bump my head on several occasions as I hunched my way through the main cabin. Jaime and I are both happy to now have our land legs back ın Fethiye and estatic to have a real shower as well as doorways/ceilings built for humans.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

GoatsGoats
Goats

Our neighbors
Our New Friend Suzie From NJOur New Friend Suzie From NJ
Our New Friend Suzie From NJ

Eternal flames in background
KasKas
Kas

One of many beachtowns


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb