Lycian Coast


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Antalya » Gazipaşa
January 3rd 2019
Published: September 3rd 2020
Edit Blog Post

Lycia is located along the south western Mediterranean coast of Anatolia and is dominated by massive mountain chains. Its boundaries start at the famous Pamphylian city of Antalya to the west and stretch down to Fethiye on the east. Current knowledge about the earliest Lycian settlements stems from the early Bronze age (2800-2200 B.C.). The main contribution of Lycia to the art of Anatolian civilizations is its reliefs, sculptures and most importantly its funeral architecture.

All the videos collected on our tour of the coast are packed into this video

Videos collected from our few days in and around the city of Antalya are here

We were there to explore the many ancient city-states with their temples, cemeteries and especially the amphitheaters. Some are completely restored, some partially restored and we found one, in the ancient city: Termessos, that has only been touched by nature including earthquakes and vandals. Termessos was a Pisidian city built at an altitude of more than 1000 metres at the south-west side of the mountain Solymos in the Taurus Mountains. Termessos is not a Lycian city but it was the first one we encountered close to the modern city of Antalya.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 20; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb