Dushanbe to Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara
July 25th 2014
Published: July 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

DUSHANBE WEDNESDAY 23.7.14



My second day in D. Again very hot 35C. Receptionist told me that in winter the av. day temperature is -15C. I wouldn't like to live here because of those ranges!



Walked to the Central Park boarded on one side by a massive library building, then the massive presidential palace, then another massive domed building under construction,then the main thoroughfare lined with government buildings and banks. Around the park were impressive water fountains pumping out litres of water. Amazing considering much of the country I rode through looked like desert. Maybe snow melt fills the dams, or simply the President likes fountains! This is a featureless town, dressed up with wide roads and imposing government buildings of minimal style. Not many redeeming features and largely forgettable.



Not much by way of shopping. Seemed to be strip shopping in multiple areas. None appealing.



Some road construction happening, but little work evident. The heat would be enough to drive workers inside. It's a very dry heat and no breezes.



Retreated to room for most of the day.



Met the Goldsmiths, the couple from Anchorage, for dinner at a local outdoor pub, the second choice after the 'trip adviser ' Italian restaurant written up, had apparently closed down. The meal, my last in Central Asia, was better than most consumed on route, possibly because the beer was cold!



An early start tomorrow, 2 am, for a 2.45 taxi to airport for the 5am flight to Istanbul, 6 hrs duration, or 6000 km by bike and 8 weeks hard slog!



ISTANBUL. THURSDAY 24.7.14



Now at airport. Expected bedlam but in reality very smooth. Not many scheduled flights from what I could see, a flight to Moscow, departing before mine. Airport quite busy with people.



Glad to be leaving. A little saddened not to have completed the ride, but now need to move on to new challenges and adventures.



Arrived Istanbul at 8.30. Good flight. Airport procedures smooth. Large modern airport, rebuilt since I was here last, 10 years ago.



The road infrastructure from airport to city is impressive and again new. No wonder I read that Turkey is the next big thing. In this area the people seem affluent, mind you I am in peak tourist location! I like the feel of Istanbul, the views across the city hills are beautiful as are views over Bosphorus, the Mosques are huge monoliths and incredible, esp. When lit up at night, the area of Sultanahment is lively with music, bars and food, and shopping.



Have spent much of today negotiating on a carpet for wall display. A tiring process. Will consider overnight.



Tomorrow will do the Grand and Spice Bazaars.

........


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.636s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.2514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb