Terrific tour of the Grand Bazaar


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
April 21st 2006
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Entrance01 Entrance01 Entrance

Once I entered the Topkapi Palace, looking back I could see the Blue Mosque.
Geo: 41.0976, 28.6816

Managed to sleep for a few hours on the bus until we stopped at 4am for half an hour. We finally arrived at Istanbul at 8am. Our group got on a minibus and drove to our hotel. We weren't able to check into our rooms which was annoying us, as we felt feral and wanted a shower after being on a bus for 12 hours. Hussein told us that we could have breakfast at the hotel, as it was included in our tour package. I asked him what kind of food it was that same breakfast food that we have been given all through the tour and we are so over it. So we all went out for breakfast. I had an iced coffee and a yummy omelette. Was such a change to eat eggs that are not cold and hard boiled!

Went back to the hotel and our rooms were ready. Another room all on my own with a queen size bed- this has been great. Was lucky that Shastra was my room-mate and that she left the tour in Jordan!! We had time to shower and a little nap until we had to meet Hussein for a
02 Palace02 Palace02 Palace

This part looks like a castle.
tour.

We went to the Topkapi Palace. It is about 500 years old and is now a museum. We saw lots of treasures and elaborately decorated rooms. We also had a great view of the Europe and Asia part of Istanbul.

We then had time for lunch and met back at the hotel for a tour of the Grand Bazaar. Was looking forward to the tour as it was huge and would be good to go there with someone who knew their way around. Hussein lead us to the Bazaar. We arrived there and walked 20 metres into the bazaar. Then Hussein said 'Okay, I'll see you tomorrow morning for a city tour'. Aaahhh, he gave us the shits, how can he call that a tour of the bazaar. He walked us there and that was it!! He just wanted to have the rest of the day off. I wasn't in the mood for being hassled at the bazaar and didn't want to be there. So Mike and I made plans to meet the others for dinner and we went to look for a laundry. I had to wash more than half of my clothes!

Later that night a few of
03 Model03 Model03 Model

A model of Istanbul with its city walls.
us went out for dinner and then I went to bed and watched Turkish TV.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

04 Gold04 Gold
04 Gold

Gold on the ceiling.
05 Sea05 Sea
05 Sea

Europe to the right and Asia to the left.
06 Decorative06 Decorative
06 Decorative

Decorative ceiling- somewhere in the palace grounds.
07 Entrance07 Entrance
07 Entrance

An entrance to one of the many buildings at the palace.
08 Blue Mosque08 Blue Mosque
08 Blue Mosque

The Blue Mosque as seen from the entrance to the palace.
09 Entrance09 Entrance
09 Entrance

The entrance to the Grand Bazaar.
10 Inside10 Inside
10 Inside

Inside the Grand Bazaar.
11 Blue Mosque11 Blue Mosque
11 Blue Mosque

View of the Blue Mosque from the main street in Sultanhamet, near our hotel.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb