Istanbul Top Five


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
October 16th 2011
Published: October 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As I’m finally getting ready to leave the tumult of the city for the calm of the Black Sea (and also because I can’t figure out how to post more pictures without a written entry), I’m going to do what I said I wouldn’t – a bit of guidebook writing. In this city full of wonders, it’s hard to choose only five favorites, but here’s my best attempt.

5. Salsa Dancing. My newfound passion in life, I was overjoyed to find it in Istanbul, and find it in plenty. There are enough salsa clubs here to fill every night with spins and twirls. Dancing also gave me the chance to experience Istanbul at night, with its mosques aglow and thousands of people, both young and old, out enjoying the warm late night air.

4. Rüstem Paşa Mosque. A small, unimposing mosque built in 1563 by the imperial architect Sinan, it lies hidden amidst the narrow alleys of the Strawmat Weavers Market. What it lacks in size it makes up for in the lavish use of exquisite İznik tiles set in a wide variety of floral and geometric designs. They cover every surface of the mosque’s interior and a large portion of its exterior. No other mosque comes close to matching their magnificence.

3. Valide Atik Hamam. Although not the most historic, or architecturally impressive hamam in Istanbul, a soak, scrub and massage here cost less than $5. An incredibly relaxing experience, my lack of Turkish also made it an incredibly comic one. First of all, I walked into the men’s entrance (luckily there were no males in attendance at the time). Then I couldn’t understand any of the masseuse’s instructions. She resorted to smacking my ass and pulling me around on the slippery tile to get her point across. Both my laughter and sighs of relaxation could be heard reverberating off the hamam’s dome.

2. Rumelihisarı (aka Rumeli Fortress). Built in 1451 on the narrowest part of the Bosphorus, its double purpose was to block supplies from reaching the Black Sea and to house Sultan Mehmed II’s Ottoman army during his siege of Constantinople. The fort consists of one small tower, three main towers and thirteen watchtowers all connected by a 20-meter high curtain wall. Tourists are free to walk along the entirety of the uneven wall, and free to fall face-first on the ground should they trip on a loose stone (and after 500 years, many of the stones are loose.) From the top of the wall, one is awarded amazing views of the Bosphorus, the Asian shore and the Fatıh Sultan Mehmet Bridge.

1. Chora Church. Originally built in the 5th century, Chora Church is considered to be one of the most beautiful examples of a Byzantine church. Relatively small and unimpressive from the exterior, the interior is a genuine marvel. It’s covered with frescoes and mosaics from the 14th century depicting significant moments in the lives of the Virgin Mary and Jesus. In the 16th century, the church was converted into a mosque and the walls were covered in plaster, as Islam prohibits the use of iconic images. Add 600 years of earthquake damage and what remains of the original tiling is truly breathtaking.



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



23rd October 2011

Forward blogs
Hi Chantalita, We really enjoy all your stories and your fotos are excellent. So far we have followed every step and we would like to be on your direct mailing list so we don't have to bug your Dad. Your blogs should be turned into a travel-guide; love your writing. Here it is finally summer with Monarchs playing outside the window, blue skies, but no wind for sailing. Enjoy, be safe, and please include us on your mailing list. Cheers, Giselle & George.

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb