Gallipoli to Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
August 4th 2011
Published: August 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Gallipoli to Istanbul



It was a short drive from our campsite near Gallipoli to catch a ferry across the Dardanelles to Asia where we stopped at Troy for a guided tour.
There were several layers of civilisation that had been discovered, built on-top of each other over time. Some stone walls dated back to around 4500BC.. yep – BC!! There were many sunflower fields nearby providing a patchwork of colour, as our guide discussed that this was thought to be the region of the Trojan War.
Troy’s legendary replica wooden horse towered from the mountain, with a few steps leading up into it’s gut for a different view of the old town. Some believe in the Trojan War, Odysseus (Greek) devised a plan to built a hollow horse, fill it with soldiers and attack the Trojans. Who knows if this actually DID happen – it is said to have occurred in the 11th or 12th centuries BC!
Istanbul was another ferry ride and a few hours drive away, but everyone on the coach was excited to be greeted at our first Hotel for the tour. No tents tonight!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb