Glorius Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
April 8th 2011
Published: April 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a sleep that could have gone on and on we managed to get ready, breakfast well and still make it to the bus on time. First stop The Blue Mosque. Chris was ready for a warmish day and wore his shorts so he needed the cover up long wrap for his legs before we entered the mosque. What a stunning building inside and out. All the photos we’ve pored over for so long didn’t do justice to this beautiful and graceful place. Sinking our feet into the soft carpet while we strained our necks looking up in order to get the perfect photo, then climbing to the gallery and exploring its treasures with our knowledgeable guide made for a memorable visit.
About now we realised that one of the people on the tour is a retired Reading Recovery teacher from Christchurch who is travelling with her sister. A small small world!
Our next stop was the huge Aya Sofia, grandest church in Christendom when completed in 537AD, over centuries moved between Moslem and Christian worlds and is now a museum. We walked over marble doorsteps that are hollowed from the feet of millions over centuries. Wonderful feeling and amazing sights.
On to Topkapi Palace and found the kitchens were closed for restoration of all the chimneys! We followed the lines of tourists examining jewel encrusted items of every kind, the collection of sultan’s kaftans and all sorts of precious relics.
Lunch gave us a welcome chance to rest a little and enjoy a wicked cake – after the plain food of course! Back on the bus and off to the Grand Bazaar, where much entertainment awaited. How friendly the Turkish people are! We did enjoy our chats and collected several business cards from sellers who were delighted to learn we will return to Istanbul at the end of our tour.
The day turned quite cold and windy so we didn’t go on the optional boat trip on the Bosphorous but came back to the hotel to blob and blog before we pack the bags ready to put outside the door at 6.30am tomorrow and head for Gallipoli. An early night again for us!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.7kb