Turkey : East meets west.


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
October 6th 2009
Published: November 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

One of the highlights for me was turkey.

Turkey: A Brief History of Turkey

Turkey's first known human inhabitants appeared in the Mediterranean region as early as 7500 BC and it has been ruled through the centuries by diverse cultures including the sun-worshiping Hittites, the Greeks who drove out the gentle Persians, and the Byzantines including Constantine. King Constantine divided the Roman Empire for his two sons, in the East was known as Bizantine, West , Roman.
By 1453, the Ottomans under Mehmet the Conqueror had taken over Constantinople.

The Ottoman Sultanate lasted till the War of Independence in 1920-22 led by Mustafa Kemal (Atatürk or Father Turk). Kemal abolished the Sultanate and set about reinventing Turkish society and this is considered the birth of the Turkish Republic. Under Ataturk, Turkey went through a period of reform and secularism was strongly instituted into the constitution as well as in the fabric of society. Constantinople became Istanbul and became a democratic government in 1923. Three largest cities, Ankara, Istanbul and Ismar.
Istanbul is a fascinating town straddling across two continents and which proudly keeps the heritage of its past alive. Key tourist items are a visit to the Blue Mosque with its internal panels of blue and white ceramic tiles, a walk thru the town past the panoramic view over the ancient Hyppodrome that was the centre of Byzantine public life, a review of St. Sophia Church to admire the wonderful Byzantine mosaics, and a peek inside the magnificent Topkapi Palace, centre of the Ottoman Empire between the XV and the XIX centuries and also housed the Sultans and their Court

Our visit to Turkey was so short, the highlights were:
visit to the house of Virgin Mary,
the ruins of Ephesus and the Turkey Bazaar.

Ephesus was established in 9 BC by the Greeks, 6 BC the ruling god was Artemius and Diana, and this became the place where Christians came when they were expelled from Jerusalem in 32 - 42AD. Virgin Mary came too and settled there, Apostle John lived on Patmos, but was buried at Ephesus. Ephesus was a port, but the silt has caused the sea to retreat 9 km. The river flats etc. are sources of mosquito areas, and malaria affected people. By 4 BC Alexander the Great died and his followers were affected by malaria, by 6 AD Basilica was built in John's grave.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ciragun PalaceCiragun Palace
Ciragun Palace

Once the centre of Ottoman Empire, now a wonderful dining room.!!in the Palatial hotel over looking the Bosphorus.
Mary's HouseMary's House
Mary's House

Virgin Mary lived here in her later life. Cooking facility in a small hearth inside, and one main room, with a vestibule to one side. Not much house work!!


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb