Day 5 Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
July 20th 2008
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our Last Day in Istanbul

There was one more site I wanted to see before leaving so I got up early and took off. I guess because I've raised 2 boys and spent 25 years sitting in some type of sports bleacher, this site seemed amusing to me. The site--The Hippodrome. This was a gigantic stadium built during the 3rd century and was in the middle of Constantinople. It held up to 100,000 people but now all that remains is the footprint, which is a park, and some remains. One remain is an Egyptian Obelisk which was built in 1500 B.C. It was brought to the stadium by Constantine. It's only a 1/3 of its original height.

Another remain is the Serpentine Column, dating back to 479 B.C. The top of the column was knocked off but is housed in a museum. The third obelisk is the Column of Constantine Porphyrogenitus, of unknown date but restored in the 10th Century. Its state reflects the fact that young Janissaries would scale it as a test of their bravery. Had Matt been with me, he would have been all about scaling the thing.

In 532, the Hippodrome was the scene of a bloody brawl between rival chariot-racing teams. It led to a revolt which destroyed much of Istanbul and 30,000 people wer killed inside the Hippodrome. Any we say our soccer matches get out of hand!

Next stop, the Spice Bazaar, in operation since the 17th Century. Because of Istanbul's location, this bazaar specialized in spices from the orient traveling to Europe. This is where you can get about anything, including those leeches! (You can also get other interesting things there--in a later blog)

Next stop, the New Mosque, "New" built in the 1500s. Now this was an experience. I was able to go in and observe, as long as I took my shoes off, bagged them, and stayed behind the "line"...and stayed away from the men. Photos tell the story. I didn't stay but a few minutes since we had to catch a plane. The blue tiles were amazing.

On the Countdown
The One-Half Traveler





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Spice BazaarSpice Bazaar
Spice Bazaar

Inside of the hundreds shops
Spice BazaarSpice Bazaar
Spice Bazaar

Famous for Turkish candies, spices, dried fruits, and LEECHES.
Spice BazaarSpice Bazaar
Spice Bazaar

Mounds of Spices
New MosqueNew Mosque
New Mosque

Inside - Blue Tiles
New MosqueNew Mosque
New Mosque

Solid tiles
New MosqueNew Mosque
New Mosque

Time of prayer
New MosqueNew Mosque
New Mosque

Men washing - absolution fountains


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb