Miniaturk, Museum and Bosphorus Cruize


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
May 31st 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

5-31-08 Miniaturk, Museum, and Boat tour

Miniaturk is a museum of a different type because it has models of the major architectural pieces that can be found throughout turkey in a miniature size. Many of the structures that were in Istanbul we were able to visit.


There were a ton of school children on a fieldtrip at Miniaturk. We were a bit shocked because it was Saturday. Apparently some schools aren’t allowed to have fieldtrips during the week. They hear us talking in English and say “hello” as we walk by. Its really kind of funny. One girls came up to Catherine and asked her what city (she meant state) she was from. When she told her Louisiana in America it was as if she’d just spoken to a celebrity. Quickly the girl ran back to tell her friends. Catherine had a roll of pennies and gave them out to the students. They were more than excited. It’s the simple things.


The __________ museum is owned by one of the richest men in the world who is also a Turk. He has a really large collection of antiques in this museum that includes old cars, motorcycles,
I'm a ship captainI'm a ship captainI'm a ship captain

No not really! I'm only adding some extra entertainment to out trip to the museum
boats and parts of each of these things. The first part of the museum showed how things worked. With the press of button a washing machine with a glass side was turned on following the steps that were written out on a diagram above the machine.


In order to make it to our next destination on time we had to take a taxi. Remember how CRAZY I told you the people drive in Turkey? Well the taxi drivers are WORSE. I can see the traffic and red light 40 yards ahead and the driver stomps on the pedal to go nowhere. I was definitely afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The best part of the day was yet to come… a one hour cruise on the Bosphorus. It was so relaxing and peaceful. We were able to see the Domabalche Palace and more of the castle that is located near the university. From the water we were able to see the castle that was on the Asian side too. We went up the water on the European side and down the Asian side.

Each of us had dinner with our families instead of the scheduled dinner with the Rotarians from
Double decker busDouble decker busDouble decker bus

I thought this was cool
the club that was hosting us for the day. My family took me to their favorite fish restaurant. First we had to choose the fish that we wanted to eat. It was then scaled and gutted in preparation for being cooked. Calamari and salad was served as our appetizer. I shared a grilled sea bass with Ismial my host father. His wife had little fish that were fried whole and then eaten with the skin. I liked the food very much especially the calamari.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Jelly fishJelly fish
Jelly fish

THe white blurs in the water are jellyfish
The view from the boatThe view from the boat
The view from the boat

The sites were more SPECTACULAR from the water!!1
Old wallOld wall
Old wall

This old wall was used to transport water from one area of the city to another. The water flowed alon the top. There are only 2 of these remaining


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb