Spice Market & More Baazars


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sirkeci
September 29th 2010
Published: April 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The spice bazaar is a whole different experience from the Grand Bazaar. It's closer to the pier area near the Galata Bridge. If you are going on the tram you would get off at Eminonu station and walk west towards the bridge. The spice market is right behind the Yeni mosque.

The spice market is quite small in comparison to the grand bazaar, not as "grand' small and compact. It's in an "L" shape, and is filled with all kinds of dried fruits, spices, candies, nuts, honey, etc. It is so colorful and fragrant. You can buy your snacks, and try different foods there through sampling. Everything is so fresh you won't be able to resist!

If you are coming from the grand bazaar you can take one street from one of the entrances and it will take you straight into the spice bazaar. As with many Islamic countries, the areas around the mosque have a plethora of shops, food stalls, book stores, etc. The surrounding areas around the bazaar are where some of the best bargains can be found. You will also find that shop keepers are much more amiable to bargain than it the touristy areas. I bought so many beautiful shawls around that area.

Near the bridge, you can take a ferry to the other side of the city. We ended up taking a ferry; it cost about $1 per person for the ferry. Outside of some of the tourist areas, many people do not speak English, so I wouldn't recommend venturing too far out of the main tourist areas. The ferry was a great experience because you can travel like the locals. You can also take some amazing pictures of Istanbul on the ferry ride back to the city.

It's a great walk along the pier area. You get a wonderful view of the other side of turkey and get to absorb the hustle and bustle of the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb