Monday in Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sirkeci
June 28th 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

WeaverWeaverWeaver

Traditional hand loom. This guy knew all about the Australian crıcket team.
Another whirlwind day of visiting here there and everywhere.
Today's agenda includes Topkapi Palace, the Post Office, A ferry trip to Kadikoy which is the Asian side of Istanbul and going past the Maiden Tower followed by another night out eating.

Topkapi palace was made in 1500's by a Sultan and occupies the most wonderful piece of land overlooking the sea and Golden Horn. It has many pavilions, large grounds, and was home to a harem, many wives and many more servants. The treasures of the day are carefully preserved and displayed including so many jewels. One area was devoted to the artifacts of the prophet Mohammed including his footprints. This area included an Iman chanting from the Koran making it very atmospheric.

The Asian side of Istanbul includes spice markets, fish markets and many alleyways of people eating and drinking and enjoying life out and about.

Ferries cross the Bosphorous often with people using this for the daily commute to work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Oak treesOak trees
Oak trees

these must be 500-600 years old and have hollowed bases
Turkish coffeeTurkish coffee
Turkish coffee

Little cups, thick syrup and sediment


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb