Ortokoy....day two Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Ortaköy
April 15th 2014
Published: April 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Another rather slow start....we are still re-charging our E-bunny batteries. Breakfast, set off for a visit along the The Bosphorus, the straits separating Europe and Asia , which join the Black Sea and the Sea of Marmara. The shores are lined with beautiful old buildings, wooden waterside villas, graceful mosques, market squares, and boats along the waterways. We are heading for the market area.

Must take a moment to try to describe the bustling atmosphere of this area. The HILLS and narrow curving roads winding their way through the old neighborhoods of buildings stacked on top of each other are what you might imagine x 100! This makes the hills of San Francisco seem fit for ants. Amid these winding streets are local small businesses, corner cafés, small markets, fruit shops, flower shops, sleeping dogs, sunning cats, bicycles, cars, motor bikes, taxis, trucks, and motor cycles zooming along all trying to get there first. Some traveling up onto sidewalk to get their nose ahead Whoa!!!! My nose was first. And we thought Cairo was scary.

Dear Shannon, who has only been driving here a few weeks, braved all the above and drove Sharon King Abby and I to Arnavutkoy to walk to the market area the waters edge. We enjoyed the stroll through the historic neighborhood to the market square where we rested to watch the bird seed man, local families and tourists enjoying the lovely afternoon. After a nice lunch of Lentil soup and Bruschetta with peppers, olives, and spicy tomatoes we shopped the wonderful little stalls, visited the Artist Fethi DeveLioglu and purchased some small Istanbul paintings.

Abby then led us to the Turkish ice cream man who entertained us and teased us with his slight of hand and fancy tricks before letting us savor his delicious wares. What fun. We returned home to a cool refreshing drink, rest, and lovely dinner of baked potatoes with all the trimmings , salad and coffee. Another day in Istanbul comes to an end.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb