Troy and on to Gallipoli


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Gallipoli
July 7th 2007
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Apparently the ancient site of Troy is somewhat of an enigma. Thought by many to be a nonexistant city, only a product of Homeric poetry, it was finally re-discovered and excavated by German archeologist Heinrich Schliemann in the 1870's. subsequent activities have restored part of the walls, etc.; and now there is a giant "replica" of a hollow wooden horse for tourists to climb in and be photographed.

Then we are on to Gallipoli, where Britain attempted in 1915, for 270 or so days, to overwhelm the Turkish army which was supported by Germany. This unsuccessful effort involved maybe a millon or so troops and resulted in a huge number of deaths and injury on both sides. but apparently both armies developed a respect for each other that has endured.

This is a huge site, with numerous cemetaries, actual trenches used by both sides, and still existing "pill boxes" built for WWII.

However, the thousands of casualties and dead only included 6 Americans, so we don't hear much about this battle. Most of the soldiers were Australian or New Zealanders, enticed to this war by promises of "Tour Europe for Free" from the British Army.

I found 2 Claytons named as killed in the battle. don't know if they are related or not


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb