Day 2 at Istanbul continued - Bosphorus and Black Sea


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Bosporus
September 9th 2011
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We popped home to our hotel and then headed on the tram down to Eminonu for a fish sandwich, a corn cob and a ferry ticket. We ignored all the touts trying to get us to go on their Bosphorus tours and went on the public ferry.

The 1:45pm sailing was not too crowded. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to sail all the way up the Bosphorus, with about five stops, passing some great sites including the Dolmabahce Palace, and a fortress guarding the narrowest part of the strait, beautiful villages, etc. It was a little hazy and grey for the first part of the trip, but by the time we returned the skies has cleared.

At the far end, we disembarked and had about two hours to spare. bought an ice cream and walked up a steep hill to the "castle" (a bit of a ruin) at the top, where you get views back down the Bosphorus as well as out through to the Black Sea. Back on the ferry for the return journey, including seeing the sky start to colour over the city as sunset approached. We arrived back at the docks about 6:30pm.

Friday afternoon peak hour on the trams is something to experience! You get very up close and personal with everyone jammed body to body trying to get a ride somewhere. It took us three attempts (ie 3rd tram) to get on at all! It was a relief to get off! Ate out at a restaurant recommended by the hotel then got a faırly early nıght.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb