Crossing Into Turkey


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Eastern Anatolia » Van
October 20th 2008
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Untitled

After Esfahan we headed to Tabriz. This was basically a rest stop before making the border crossing into Turkey. It took us just over 4hrs to get to the border and then about another 2hrs leaving the Iranian border and entering Turkey. As far as border crossings go that was a good one! As soon as we entered the Turkish side = scarves were off, coats off and we went and bought an ice cold Efeas - the local beer. We drove into Dogybaizit for the night and it was quite obvious that we were in Kurdistan - the locals introduced themselves as Kurdish people rather than Turkish. I had been in Dogy 11 years before. Not much had changed. Mt Ararat was off in the distance. The palace was being renovated so we couldn't get inside but I found the restuarant where we had camped last time. Dogy was a nice relaxing afternoon for us.

After Dogybaizit we had 3 long days of driving to get to Goreme. Things were well and truely feeling as if it was all winding up. At lunch time on the first drive day we came across Lake Van. It was so good to see water again - we hadn't seen a lake since Kyrgyzstan way back at the start of September. Seeing Lake Van made me realsie how much I had missed water. We had planned to try to get to Nemrut and see the giant heads but we were facing quite a few police checks and slow travel times on the hills. On the second drive day we realised that we couldn't get to Nemrut and then on to Goreme in time (the truck was being fixed in Gormeme). Our second bush camp in Eastern Turkey was an interesting one as we had a visit from a van load of local men (complete with guns) trying to work out who we were and what we were doing in their area. It was obvious quite quickly that they were just checking things out on behalf of the local villagers, but it was just an interesting start to the evening. (They were showing us photos of their cows on their mobile phones!).

We are now in Goreme (Kapydoccia). I am trying to negotiate my way around the Turkish keyboard! We went for a city tour yesterday and I went hot air ballooning this morning. It is a culture shock to be back in the heart of tourist country - as well as a bit more expensive now. From here we catch a bus to Istanbul. The truck finishes here as it is easier for the guys to do their overhaul here rather than in the Capital. I have a couple of days in Istanbul and then it is across to Barcelona for me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb