Valley Walks and Ancient Rest Stops on the Way to Konya


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Konya
September 21st 2011
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We checked out of Hotel Ciner in Goreme this morning, and drove to Ilhara where we embarked on our 1.5 hour walk by the Melendiz River from Ilhara Village to Belisirma. Ilhara Village is a cute village, it looks very traditional and I would've loved to have spent some time in the village. It was a really pretty, enjoyable walk. On the way we saw two Byzantine cave chapels - Agaculti Church and Yilani - Snake Church. Agaculti had very well preserved frescoes.

At the end of the walk in Belisirma we had an excellent lunch, in a lovely spot by the river. I had a vegetarian casserole which was really good. After lunch we drove to the Sultanhani Caravanserai, which was built in 1229. It was a place where traders and travellers stopped, and there were facilities for people and camels to rest during long journeys. It was very interesting.

We then continued our drive to Konya, and got to our hotel - Hotel Rumi - about 5:45 or so. Susan and I went for a walk and checked out the nearby shops. They sell a lot of Melvana candy here. I bought a nice Istanbul t-shirt at a sort of Old Navy-Gap type store. We went to a large market also.

Dinner was Turkish pizza, but it was a let down. They couldn't seem to figure out a vegetarian pizza so I just had cheese. It was ok but nothing like the pizza we had at lunch in Uchisar yesterday. Some of us then went with Nihat to a big shopping mall for ice cream. I had an excellent pistachio ice cream cone. We walked back to our hotel and settled in for the night. Tomorrow we visit the Melvana Mausoleum and Museum, and then we have a long drive to Antalya. Hopefully I'll be able to snooze on the mini-van! Hotel Rumi is very nice - we have a cute room and a view of the Melvana Mausoleum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Susan and Lori Susan and Lori
Susan and Lori

At the restaurant where we stopped at for lunch in Belisirma at the finish of the Ihlara Valley walk
Our restaurant in BelisirmaOur restaurant in Belisirma
Our restaurant in Belisirma

We had an excellent lunch here in this lovely location right on the river.
Inside of the Caravanserai - traders and their camels would stop to rest hereInside of the Caravanserai - traders and their camels would stop to rest here
Inside of the Caravanserai - traders and their camels would stop to rest here

I wanted to climb these stairs but we weren't allowed.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb