Cappadocia...Possibly the strangest place on earth


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Cappadocia
September 5th 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

18 Aug - we have a leisurely breakfast on the train followed by a few hours of watching the Turkish countryside go by. Vast, dry, sandy, nothing-ness except for the odd, small settlement with cows and a minaret. A v relaxing way to spend a Monday morning...work life seems a distant memory already 😊

Arrive in the hippy hangout of Goreme in Cappadocia, WOW what a place. For those of you in the know, all I can say is Humbie moonbase 😊 Out of this world scenery. Over the ages, volcanic tufa (Heather - amazing climbing!) has been sculpted into strange and improbable shapes which were carved into churches, houses, etc. We wandered round such a complex in Goreme Valley. I can't do it justice in words - wait until you see the photos...amazing and undescribable. Went to a great viewpoint just before sunset for an ariel view of the valley.

Checked into the Chateau Cave Hotel. This has to be one of the strangest places I've ever stayed in!!! The hotel is carved out of tufa with lots of little warrens, alleys, steps and ancient wooden doors. Ali and I were allocated what can only be described as the suite or backpackers dorm. We had a double bed, single bed, small bed at the back and a specially designed snoring annex / cell for Ali 😊 We wandered round Goreme in the evening...a backpackers, Aussie and hippy hangout...it will be interesting to see how it compares with Goa and such places on my travels, great vibe man. We got a yummy picnic of local cheese and red wine then back to the hotel's rooftop terrace for supper overlooking the floodlit minaret and amazing rock formations aka Bedrock!! I have great memories of Cappadocia, it's just soooo different to anywhere I've ever been before and sooooo chilled out, would love to go back but seems unlikely...

19 Aug - today we visited Kaymakli, an underground city built by Christians escaping Arab oppression. An incredible underground maze of rooms on 5 levels. We then had a long bus trip to Gazientep, an industrial city 60km from the Syrian border. Lovely dinner al fresco on the hotel's rooftop terrace with mezze...and wine.

20 Aug - had a long lie this morning, the rest of the gang visited a mosaic museum though. We drive to the Turkey / Syria border. After 3 hours in scorching midday sun in no-man's land, dealing with the necessary red tape, we cross into Syria by foot...

Advertisement



6th September 2008

Gospel according to Darling
Great pictures mate!!! It was good hearing from you the other day. You walked into Syria!!! This sounds like a chapter in one of th gospels!!!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb