Cappadoccia Day 5


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Cappadocia » Göreme
July 8th 2009
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Life undergroundLife undergroundLife underground

I am 6'1".....pretty high ceiling!
Day 5, Cappadoccia: We take an organized tour of the underground city, valley, and cliff dwellings. Robin buys her first (and only) real souvenir on the way out of Goreme, a black tablecloth. The underground city is a real challenge for those scared of confined spaces (no names mentioned). You realize how tough life was in those days, and how fearful defenseless people can be. But it is a memorable experience.
There are some nice young Korean guys in our group, one of which has a really banged up arm, the other with a nasty limp. They had rented a scooter and dumped it on loose gravel. They were quite pleased with the socialized medicine in Turkey, which patched them up no-charge. We agreed the hospital is one place in Turkey where you are safe from carpet salesman.
We then hike thru a gorge, nice, but no match for the hike thru the Zimi valley. There is an Irish woman and her 8 year old daughter in our group, and we have lunch with them. I am amused with the girl’s dislike of the “croost” on the pizza.
Last stop on the tour is the mandatory onyx gift shop. We agree the guys making the jewelry are ringers, just poking at the jewels and bands, with no intention of making anything, or the necessary skills. We get the obligatory “who can tell me what Cappadoccia means” question, with an onyx egg to the winner. We get back into town at 6:30PM, catch dinner, and feed the very hungry stray dog.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1115s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb