The Land of Beautiful Horses


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Cappadocia » Göreme
June 5th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Pamukkale poolsPamukkale poolsPamukkale pools

Austin and Lily wade in the pools of Calcium water. It looks like snow, but is warm.
Sorry about the half entered blog "Turkish Culture". The rest was deleted by mistake. The problem with blogging is we do them in brief moments, and rarely are they completed in one sitting. It is all too easy to push the "Publish" button. I guess the photos tell it all.
---------------
---------------
6/1/09 -- Lily
Pamukkale Turkey - Pamukkale is one of the most famous sites. It is calcium rock with water in it. It is called Travertines, and has pools of water on it. The calcium comes from the hot spring and deposits on the rock as the water cools. The calcium carbonate covers the rock and dries up turning them white as snow. You can walk through the pools of water. There is sediment on the bottoms and it feels like you are walking through crushed up Tums because of the sediment on the bottom. The water was warm. I had a great time swimming. There is an antique Roman Spa town from 2000 years ago in Pamukkale.
---
Overnight Bus Ride -- Lily
From Pamukkale to Cappadocia, we took an overnight bus ride. My mother didn't like it, but Austin, my dad, and I loved it. It stopped
PamukkalePamukkalePamukkale

Calcium carbonate dripping down mountain gradually made beatufiul formations over the last 2000 years.
every three hours. They served coffee, soda, and snacks during the night. They put babies in the back of the bus where there were stuffed animals for them to play with. We were tired in the morning. The bus ride was 10 hours long.
---------------------
---------------------
6/6/09 -- Jon
We are in the land of beautiful horses - (the definition of Capadocia, Turkey). It is located smack in the middle of this huge country with a mixture of plains, snow capped mountains, and gorges. The unique landscape is the tunnels that are carved into high reaching Fairy Chimnies (packed towers of tufa and basalt) and tunnels that are carved deep into the ground (some going 8 stories under ground).
----Lily
We saw a tunnel that went seven miles long that goes to the next underground city. Of course it was collapsed by now it is 3000 years old. I loved climbing through the tunnels. In one tunnel, Austin and I were the only ones small enough to get in. We all had to bend over to get through. My mother won a prize (stone shaped egg) for answering the question that Cappadocia was the land of beautiful horses.
----Lily
I
Turkish YouthTurkish YouthTurkish Youth

At midnight in the bus station, Turkish males were spontaneously dancing to the music of a cell phone They were giving a send off to one of their peers who was leaving for his year in the military.
also had a chance to go horse back riding in Cappadocia. My horses name was Abe. We rode in Rose Valley and saw lots of fairy chimnies. My dad came with me.
-----------------------
-----------------------
6/9/09 -- Steph and Jon
Ankara and Hattusas -- We are now in Ankara. It is a modern capital where we haven't been pegged as tourists. It is relaxing despite the fact that it is a busy city. Hattusas, is an historical archeology site close to Ankara which dates back 4000 years ago to one of the major early civillizations in the ancient world. The site was found 100 years ago, yet has only been 30% excavated.
---
We are off to Istanbul tonight (on an overnight train this time) and will be crossing from Asia to Europe (Turkey is comprised of land in Asia and Europe).
----------------------
----------------------
Trivia Question:
Do males and females have to spend time in the Turkish military? (answer in next blog)




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Fairy ChimniesFairy Chimnies
Fairy Chimnies

Cappadocia is know for these structures left over from volcano debris millions of years ago.
CappadociaCappadocia
Cappadocia

Amongst the fairy chimnies, housing is carved into the rock.
Cappadocia cavesCappadocia caves
Cappadocia caves

Cave houses are carved into the rock of Cappadocia.
Monastery in rockMonastery in rock
Monastery in rock

Underground caves include a monastery carved completely into the rock and then decorated with Frescos. Cappadocia
Lily and 21 year old AbeLily and 21 year old Abe
Lily and 21 year old Abe

Lily's first time horseback riding without someone else holding the reins. 21 year old Abe was able to gallop for a short period.
CaravansariCaravansari
Caravansari

Hotels for camel caravans are spaced every 20 km accross Turkey along the Silk Road. This promoted the trade in Istanbul 1200AD.
Ankara TurkeyAnkara Turkey
Ankara Turkey

Capital of Turkey
AnkaraAnkara
Ankara

Houses extend for miles outside of Ankara
Heiroglyphics of HattusasHeiroglyphics of Hattusas
Heiroglyphics of Hattusas

Hattusas has one of the oldest great civillizations from 4000 years ago. Some of the writing on walls comes from languages that have become extinct and no one can decipher today. This set was found underground 10 years ago.


Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb