Gallipoli Helles and French Cemetry


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean
August 1st 2015
Published: August 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Gallipoli Helles and French Cemetry Blog



I had always been aware that a few British soldiers joined the ANZAC forces at Gallipoli.


But I had not been aware of the number.

Cape Helles is at the southern tip of the Gallipoli peninsula – I guess 30 or so klms from Anzac Cove. Helles would be more logical place to attack and being a long beach with flattish terrain ( compared to Anzac Cove ) and so more logically prone to successful attack and maintaining fewer casualties as well as maintaining good supply lines.

So on 25th April 1915 an army of British, Canadian, Indian and French troops landed at Helles.

The Helles memorial is an impressive monument to all the Commonwealth Forces.

A little way from Helles is the French Cemetery.

It may well be the biggest single cemetery on Gallipoli – as it appears all the French casualties are accounted for in the one cemetery. Of course their cemetery has signature French style and flair. Their cemetery is simple and of course reverent of those buried or accounted for there, but with some class in presentation. Its not that the Australian cemeteries lack that. But the simple metal crucifixes, bevelled edges on their rather significant stone work and general layout do their dead proud with a little French style.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.638s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb