Coasting back to the Mediterranean


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean
May 17th 2008
Published: May 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bike mechanicBike mechanicBike mechanic

Posing in front of the shop in Didim
On Friday we left Selcuk and headed to the coastal resort town of Bodrum. On the way there the chain on my bike popped off again. I managed to get it back on the sprocket only to have it come off again 40 km later, it was quite obvious that the chain lacked the proper tension and needed adjusting. While pulled over at a fuel station contemplating our next move, Kemal approached us and asked if we needed help. As it turns out, Kemal owns "Shoe Zone" in Didim (about 15 minutes away) and has a buddy who has a motorcycle repair shop. We followed Kemal in his Audi and he led us right to the shop. There, a team of men worked on my bike and then fixed Erin's bike and even fixed a few things we hadn't noticed in addition to lubing the chains, all that for 20 lira. I never did catch the name of the mechanic but I have a picture which actually doesn't do justice to how “smiley” he was...

The hotel we had intended on staying at in Bodrum was actually on a pedestrian street and we had no intention of hauling our gear in the 25 degree sun, so we set out to find a different place and ended up in one of the resort hotels. This was a nice place: pool, beach side bar, the works. Once we got checked in we set out to catch some sun and lay on the beach for a bit. Later we ventured out to the town where the now familiar Turkish shops sell their wares. We did locate one gift to bring back home as well as the ever elusive Lokma, a dessert roughly the shape of a Timbit that Erin had heard about and made it her mission to find.

At 900 on Saturday morning, we left for Gocek, a tiny coastal village along the Aegean sea that is not very well known, other than to sailing enthusiasts it would seem. The marina is overflowing with sailboats with registration cities from all over Europe. There is a bit of a strip in the centre of town lined with shops and restaurants and a few hotels. Ali set us up with a friend of his who owns the A & B Home Hotel, a really nice place right on main street with a pool
SelcukSelcukSelcuk

Where Turkish babies come from...
and terrace. The owner, Birkan, is a motorcycle enthusiast and has an old 1946 Harley parked poolside. We went for a stroll along the water and found some lunch, the digital signs read 24 degrees, but it felt a lot hotter down there.

After lunch we took in some more sun at the hotel and went for a dip in the pool, this seemed to tire Erin out. While she went for a quick nap, I found the nearest internet cafe to do some blogging.

In the morning, we will wrap up the motorcycling and return to Antalya, about 250 km from here. We then have to figure out a bus to head east to Iskenderun and the Syrian border. We are a couple of days ahead of schedule and will take our time getting there.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Ketcap CipsKetcap Cips
Ketcap Cips

Why can't we get these in the U.S?
BodrumBodrum
Bodrum

view from the hotel
BodrumBodrum
Bodrum

Hotel pool
BodrumBodrum
Bodrum

Hotel beach
Good store ...Good store ...
Good store ...

Checking on my foreign investments...
GocekGocek
Gocek

Lunch and sun


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb