Kusadasi Bazaar


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Kusadasi
May 12th 2016
Published: May 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Thursday - Kusadasi: We are clearly getting into the mood, as we got up late for breakfast. We had chosen not to visit Ephesus as the crowds can be extensive and we wanted to have a quiet day. As the ship was at the dock in the middle of the city, we simply walked off into a barrage of vendors. It is very difficult to be polite when each shop ask one of a series of questions:

“Please come into my shop, it is the best in the city.”

“Where are you from, let’s talk?”

“We love Wind Star, come into our shop.”

“You are missing the best shop in the city.”

“If you buy something I will help you find the ship.”

“Just take a look.”

“Are you a cowboy? Where is your horse?”

“You are a pretty couple.”

Traversing the gauntlet is difficult but was rewarding this time. We found a present for our nephew’s wedding and a little camel bone box for Peggy. Best of all we purchased a hand-inlaid backgammon board. It was exquisitely done and the artist has not passed his craft onto another generation so all future boards may be mass-produced. It is something to pass on to another generation. Took awhile to make the decision and a long time to close the deal. In the process one of the fine salesmen got us Turkish coffee and took the time to read our fortunes. John will have a long life and be very healthy. Peggy will be very productive, have a long life, and be healthy. What more could we ask for.

After some additional wandering around the VERY extensive bazaar (and a visit to the caravanserai and mosque (completed in 1638) we had lunch at Oz Urfa Restaurant. It was recommended by TripAdvisor as “best” Turkish food in Kusadasi … and it was. Very good kabobs (garlic and lamb and beef) and wonderful donar (thinly sliced lamb from a spit with a special sauce of yoghurt and spices). The food, including the mezes beforehand, were extremely good and reasonably priced. TripAdvisor was correct.

Back to the ship for ice cream and a rest through the barrage of questions and “opportunities” to buy something. Absolutely understandable but still difficult to address as you want to answer but know that if you do you are engaged and every shop – many of which are interesting – could take an hour to visit. And we have our gifts for friends and for ourselves.

Leaving for Istanbul at 4:00 PM with cruising along the coast all day Friday, arriving Istanbul Saturday morning early.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb