Ephesus etc


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Kusadasi
May 6th 2008
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Library at the Ephesus ruinsThe Library at the Ephesus ruinsThe Library at the Ephesus ruins

This is an amazing piece of early architecture - if only the facade remains.
Day 7 Kusadasi, Turkey

After sailing overnight through various Greek islands in the Agean Sea we berthed early morning in the Turkish port of Kusadasi.

This port is close to Ephesus, the Agean’s best-preserved ancient city. Layers of silt covered this 2000-year old city over the years and much has been discovered but much is still buried.

Associated with Ephesus is the tomb of St John the Apostle, which we visited.

As an athiest, you can imagine Geoff’s impression of the claimed house of the Virgin Mary, which we also saw.

A very interesting day concluded with open-air buffet lunch and Turkish dancers, followed by a visit to a Turkish carpet sales room where the boss gave a display of his collection and his off-siders attempted to flog the goods - at big prices.

Another great adventure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Turkish DancersTurkish Dancers
Turkish Dancers

While we ate a fine outdoor buffet style lunch, the men and women danced for us.
Pat & Issi, the Tour GuidePat & Issi, the Tour Guide
Pat & Issi, the Tour Guide

The tour guide took a fancy to Pat and mocked a dance for the camera. Note that he is a giant like Pat.


Tot: 0.379s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb