Basic Information about Turkey, Aegean Region, Izmir, Kusadasi, Epheus


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Izmir
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The following basic information about Turkey was prepared by my colleague Sinan Tortum.
..........


As a tour guide in Turkey in norwegian and english, mainly working in Ephesus, Kusadasi, Izmir, Cesme, Foca area I created this small travel guide about Turkey, Aegean Region, Izmir, Ephesus and Kusadasi. One day I hope to be at your service as your tour guide.

Sinan Tortum

Mail : stortum@yahoo.no

Cell : +90.533.724 63 65

Home : +90.232.247 60 73





BASIC FACTS ABOUT TURKEYATATÜRK ( THE FATHER OF THE TURKS)In 1923 Atatürk abolished the sultanate and founded the Turkish Republic. Big reforms were realized: introduction of the Latin alphabet, abolition of poligamy, Sunday made the official holiday, women’s suffrage, separation of state and mosque. ,. All these would lead Turkey closer to the modern world. ATATÜRK, whose birthname was Mustafa, was born in 1881. In 1934 he was given the name ATATÜRK, which means The Father of the Turks. He died in 1938. His successors declared Turkey neutral in the Second World War.

GEOGRAPHICAL REGIONSTurkey comprises a total area of 780.567 square kilometers, and is divided in 7 regions, of which 97 % lies in Asia and 3 % in Europe. They are divided by the Bosphorus Strait(Istanbul Boğazı), the Sea of Marmara and Dardanelle Strait (Çanakkale Boğazı).Turkey is surrounded by sea on three sides with a coastline of 8,720 km.Ankara is the capital with 7 million inhabitants, while Istanbul with its 15 millions is the largest city. Izmir with 4 million inhabitants is the third largest city in Turkey.

FORM OF GOVERNMENTTurkey is a soverign democratic country and member of NATO. The Turkish Parliament consists of 550 Parliamentarians, who are elected for a period of 5 years. The President is elected for 7 years.

GOVERNORA Governor is the government appointed head of a Province. ( There are 80 Provinces in the country).

RE LIGION 99 % of the population are Muslims. Turkey does not have a state religion and all the non-muslims have religious freedom. When you visit a mosque, you should show respect for Islamic customs. You should take off your shoes before entering. Short slieved shirts or shorts are not suitable for such a visit. Women should completely cover their hair.There are two main religious festivals. A three day Festival is celebrated after the Ramadan Month of Fasting. The Sacrifice Festival (Kurban Bayramı) lasts 4 days.

FROM OLD SMYRNA TO MODERN IZMIR

The PastIn the year 2000 the city commemorated its 5,000th Jubilee. The city was ruled in turn by various many nations. These included Lydians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs and the Ottoman Turks. Alexander the Great was fascinated by this beautiful city when he stayed here. He dreamed that the Nemesis showed themselves to him and persuaded him to move the city from its initial location in modern Bayraklı to Pagos Mountain, where his General, Lysimachus, built the so-called Velvet Castle.

TodayThe Metro is an effective attempt at solving the traffic problems in the city. Izmir is considered to be the most modern city in Turkey, not simply because one finds modern buildings there, but because the people here have a modern attitude to life.The State Opera and Ballet and Izmir State Symphony Orchestra hold performances and concerts from October to May, and in summer you can go to concerts in Ephesus Ancient Theatre. There are several art galleries and many cinemas in Izmir. The Archeological Museum and the Ethnographical Museum are well worth a visit. You can also visit old Smyrna, the first phase of Izmir, and you can admire the original city’s layout with its main streets, sidestreets and the Agora, ancient Smyrna’s Market Place.If you are a Christian, Jew, Jehovas Witness or Bahai, you can participate in their services. If you are Mason, bring your Lodge Card; if you belong to the Lions or Rotary Clubs, you can meet your counterparts here. If you want to observe the Alawi way of living, visit the Alawi-dominated quarters. You can also observe the gipsy way of living in this city.Excellent dining possibilities exist at many of the restaurants in all price categories and there are lots of bars too.If you enjoy shopping, you have the Bazaar with its timeless atmosphere. And in other shopping districts as well as in the new shopping centers, you can find both exclusive and standard shops.

KADİFEKALE (THE ‘VELVET CASTLE’) Kadifekale was built by Lysimachos, one of Alexander the Great’s generals around 300 B.C. In this district you’ll find many new immmigrants from Turkey’s Eastern Provinces. You’ll probably see women weaving kilims for sale.







BETH ISRAEL SYNAGOGUEThis is one of the few synagogues which are open in the city. It lies in Karataş and was built in 1905. It is the city’s biggest synagogue and is used for wedding ceremonies.

SYNAGOGUE STREET (Havra Sokak)The name derives from the word synagogue, which is havra in Turkish. This street is interesting for its many old buildings..

THE BAZAARLocated in the quarters of Konak. It is the oriental shopping area with many streets and a very large choice of goods.

AGORAThe Roman marketplace in Agora measures 120 x 80 meters and is from the 2nd century AD.

THE CLOCK TOWERSymbol of Izmir city, the Clock Tower, is located in Konak. It was built in 1901 by Sultan Abdülhamit II to commemorate the 25th Jubilee of his Sultanate.

ST. POLYCARP CHURCHSt. Polycarp’s Church is the oldest church in Izmir. It was dedicated to St. Polycarp, who suffered a martyr’s death in the City Stadium under the Romans in 155 AD. Permission to build this church was given in the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificant.

KIZLARAĞASI HANIThis is a good example of 18th century Ottoman architecture. Renovated in 1993, it is a good place to purchase handicrafts, souvenirs etc.

THE PROMENADE (Birinci Kordon) Along the Promenade you find many restaurants, bars and cafes.

ASANSÖR (The Monumental Lift)This elevator was constructed by Nesim Levi in 1907 and was used to transport people to the city’s upper quarters.The Asansör Restaurant offers Turkish specialities and a nice view over the city and the Gulf.

KÜLTÜRPARKFounded under the directive of Atatürk, it is a wonderful open space, which is considered to be Izmir’s lungs. Here you can find Jogging Paths, a Zoo, a ‘Tivoli’ Amusement Park, cafes, restaurants and a concert house.

KARŞIYAKAKarşıyaka lies on the other side of the Gulf of Izmir and is a very confident and ‘up-market’ part of town.You take the boat from Konak to Karşıyaka, or from Üçkuyular to Bostanlı, which is a little further east.In Central Karşıyaka, you find a pedestrian precinct where you can find excellent shopping in shops with fixed prices. In this way Karşıyaka distinguishes itself from the Bazaar, where you have to bargain over prices.

BALÇOVAThe Municipality of Balçova starts from Üçkuyular and ends in Balçova’s Geothermal area. The neighbouring Municipalities are Narlıdere and Konak. Balçova Agamemnon Thermal Spa and Treatment Facilities is a Corporation controlled by a Board. Overall supervision and security is guarenteed by the Local Authorities and by Izmir’s Provincial Governor. He in turn is directly responsible and dependant upon the Turkish Central Government in Ankara.

TELEFERİKTake the cable car to the top. You only pay to go up. The descent is free. You can find cafes or DIY barbecue possibilities up there. There’s a magnificent view too!

İNCİRALTIThis is a big new recreational development with lovely walkways, sea-side amusements and traditional fishing harbour.The area where you find fish resturants and cafes. There is a hostel for university students.

SAHIL EVLERİ
Sahilevleri can be translated as sea houses. There you find elegant villas and houses. A popular area for people who would like to live away from the city.

THE 9th SEPTEMBER HOSPITALOne of the most modern teaching hospitals in Turkey, it is affliated with the 9th September University. The Emergency Section is well equipped. As well as multi-bedded wards, you find private bed rooms on the 6th floor. This is the hospital Balçova Thermal Facilities cooperates with.

UĞUR MOSQUEThe nearest mosque. Follow the unwritten rules for clothing when visiting outside the praying times.

BALÇOVA MARKETOpen Saturdays. A visit at the marketplace with fruits, vegetables and much more is a great experience. Üçkuyular market is open on Wednesdays and Sundays.

ÖZDİLEK SHOPPING CENTERA large chain of shopping centers. Here there’s a large choice of goods and a spacious and cosy restaurant section.

KIPA (TESCO) SHOPPING CENTERKipa is a big regional chain of shopping centers. The center has a large choice of goods, several shops, cafes and eating places.

PALMIYE SHOPPING CENTERThis center is visited by the people for the shops, eating places, cafes as well as the cinema.

MİGROSThis supermarket is owned by one of the biggest holding companies of Turkey having many branches in different parts of Turkey. There is a shop, a restaurant and a big toy section.

AGORA SHOPPING CENTEROne of the biggest shopping centers in Izmir with many shops and eating places, as well as cafes. The center has also 8 cinemas.

GÜZELBAHÇEGüzelbahçe can be translated as the Beautiful Garden. There you find a fishing boat harbour with fish retail stalls and restaurants. It is a popular place for people who wish to enjoy fish at a reasonable price.

URLA İSKELE ( URLA HARBOUR)The harbour section of Urla-town. The greek poet Seferis was born here. At the little fishing harbour you can observe the day’s fish auction at around 10 o’clock in the morning. Try the local calamaris (squid) in the cosy fish restaurants.

URLAThe town Urla İskelesi (Urla harbour) is affiliated with this growing market town. If you want to experience small town life a short distance from the big city, then Urla is a good choice.

ÇEŞMEALTIÇeşmealtı is along the peninsula close to Urla İskele. It’s cosy village with fish restaurants and beaches.

MORDOĞANStill ‘undiscovered’ Mordoğan is a quiet village in the winter but comes to life with summer tourists.

KARABURUNIt’s connected to ‘distant’ Izmir by a winding, scenic road. But what you find there is worth the driving.

ILDIRIThe old antique town Ildırı offers fish in the restaurants.

ÇEŞMEIn the long and lively main street outside the Medieval Castle you find small, colourful shops, where you can buy clothes, leather, jewellery and carpets. Bars and restaurants lie close to each other. Shopping street leads down to the harbour. Outside the town are long sandy beaches and the natural bays. Here it is ideal for sunbathing and a long and relaxed day on the beach. At the small cafes along the beaches you can sit down for a small break in the shade. After a relaxing day on the beach or a boat tour amongst the beautiful bays, you can enjoy a delicious meal at one of the many restaurants. Maybe you’d like to visit a discoteque? Çeşme has lots of them!Çeşme is on the way to becoming a world famous health resort, with places for recovery and enjoyable relaxation in the thermal Spa waters. Remember the name! The Project is called Çeşme Wellness Town.

ILICAIt is a section of Çeşme area 5 km. from Çeşme-town. It has a long sandy beach. In Iıca there is a thermal water source in the bay at the waterbreak. It is a resort for the well-off turks, who move to their summer houses in the weekends and on holidays.

ALAÇATIThis village has recently become popular due to the surfing possibilities in the bay. With a depth of around 1,5 meter, it is secure to surf there. In the village one can wander around in the narrow streets, where you find examples of traditional workshops and shops.

ŞİFNE Şifne is around 8 km. from Çeşme and was recently declared as a development area for the tourism. It is envisaged as a worl-famous resort with places for recovery,a conference center and hotels under the name “Çeşme Wellness Town”.The area with the thermal water sources distinguishes itself from the others with the water composition, which can cure many diseases.

SEFERİHİSARIt is an authentic town. A visit at the town’s park can be advised. Enjoy yourself with a cup of coffee or beer.

TEOS The antique city Teos was one of the twelve towns in the Ionic Federation. The town had two harbours and was a maritime trade center.The Dionysios Temple was excavated so far.

SIĞACIKA fishing village with few fish restaurants and cafes. There is a beautiful yacht harbour with the visiting yachts. In the vicinity you find simple pensions.

CLAROSThis was not an antique city, but a center of worship. In Antiquity there were some well known oracle centers such as Delphi, Didyma and Claros. Claros is located close to the village of Ahmetbeyli. There is an Apollo Temple, in the course of excavation. The site and statues are impressive.

METROPOLISMetropolis had its great times some centuries before Ephesus. When you drive by the town of Torbalı on the motorway from İzmir to Selçuk, you can see the ruins of Metropolis on the right hand side of the road. The theatre is well excavated. Agora and bouleterion can be visited also. Norwegian archeolgists from The University of Oslo participate in the excavations here.

TORBALIAn industrial town with many factories, amongst others there’s a car factory (Opel produced on license) and international cigarette factories.

KEMALPAŞA Kımız FARMOn a visit in this farm you can ride horses and taste kımız (fermented mare’s milk).

PAMUCAK BEACHA long public beach near toEphesus.

EPHESUSThe famous city of Antiquity founded by Androclos in the 10th century BC and inhabited by Lelegians, Carians and Ionianas. It was re-inhabited by General Lysimachos in the 3rd century BC. In its heyday in the 2nd century AD approximately 300.000 people lived in Ephesus. The theatre alone could accommodate 25.000 spectators. From here one can visit The House of TheVirgin Mary, which is 8 km. from Ephesus. Her house has been consecrated by theVatican as a focus for Christian Pilgrim. The ruins of Ephesus are amongst the best preserved in the world.On the way from Ephesus to Selçuk you can visit the ruined Artemis Temple built of marble. It was one of the Seven Wonders of the World.In the archeological museum at Selçuk, the findings from Ephesus are exhibited. This makes a visit at the museum well worthwhile.

SELÇUKThe town of Selçuk with approximately 25.000 inhabitants is considered to be ‘the modern Ephesus’. It’s a spruce, newly expanded town, which offers itself as an alternative place to stay if you want to be close to Ephesus and don’t want to stay in the tourist resort of Kuşadası. You find small hotels and pensions in Selçuk. There is also a little shopping street and a Saturday Market with saddles, ropes and so on for sale. The many cosy restaurants make the place interesting. In the town you can visit the ruins of St. John’s Basilica dating from the 6th century. Here the apostle John was supposedly buried. İsabey Mosque below the castle dates from the 14th century and is one of the oldest examples of Turkish Mosque. You can find columns taken from the Artemis Temple in its structure.In Selçuk, you have the possibility to see the remains of the roman aqueducts.

ŞİRİNCEŞirince is approximately 7 km. from Selçuk. It is an open air museum with many old Greek Houses and two Orthodox Churches. Some of these old houses have been converted into inexpensive hotels (pansiyons). In the village you can buy homemade wine, soap, handicrafts and other souvenirs. Small and simple eating-places offer local specialities. The village lies in a beautiful landscape.

KUŞADASI“The Pearl of Aegean” Kuşadası, which means Bird Island, is a popular resort located on the Aegean Coast only 90 km. from İzmir. The town has a ferry harbourwith traffic to the Greek Islands. Kuşadası has become a “commercialized” tourist town with a richly varied choice of goods and services. These range from exclusive shops to street vendors. The town has a large number of restaurants where one can enjoy the exotic turkish food. There are bars in most parts of the town and on the promenade.

TIREIt is called the Green Tire. It’s a beautiful town in a perfect rural setting. In the town you can still find old handicrafts which struggle to survive: saddles, felt, ropes and copper production. There was until recently a small Jewish Community here. A ruined synagogue can still be seen there. The local handicrafts market on Tuesdays is well worth a visit.

FOÇA
Few towns can compete with Foça. It is a is a paradise for those who would like to traveloutside the main streams of tourism and experience the real life of the local people. It’s a small town with a population little over 10.000. Foça consists of two sections, the big bay and the little bay. Along the promenade you’ll find simple pensions, fish restaurants and in the streets and sidestreets some eating places and shops. A short distance from the promenade you meet the real folk life and people who live together with their hens, and plant vegetables in the garden.Foça also offers very much historically. Phocaians were those, who founded the city of Marseilles in France, a merchant people who colonised many towns and cities in antiquity. You find some ruins and the city wall, which remind you of the brilliant times which the town once enjoyed.

THE SEVEN CHURCHES OF THE APOCALYPSEIn Turkey you can find the Seven Churches, which are mentioned in the New Testament: Smyrna (İzmir), Ephesus, Tyatira (Akhisar), Pergamon, Philadelphia (Alaşehir), Sardes and Laodicea (Denizli). THE ALPHABET AND A LITTLE DICTIONARYThe turkish written language uses the Latin letters. But some letters are not found in English or are spelled differently. Some Useful Words and Expressions:Good Morning:GünaydınGood Evening(s) :İyi akşamlarGood Night : İyi gecelerHow are you? : Nasılsın?Thanks : TeşekkürlerPlease : LütfenWelcome : Hoş geldiniz. The response is hoş buldukBye bye : Allahaısmarladık, says the one who leaves and güle güle, answers the one who staysExcuse me : Affedersiniz or pardonO.K.: : TamamYes : EvetNo : HayırCoffee : KahveTea : ÇayHere you are : BuyurunCheers : ŞerefeFood : YemekWater : SuIs there? : Var mı? The response woould be var(there is) or yok (there is no)

PRACTICAL INFORMATION ABOUT TURKEY

THE AVERAGE TURKTurks are kind, helpful and honest people. Here there is a strong emphasis on forms of kindness. A couple of words in Turkish will often open the doors.One gives hand when one meets an other. This is a custom that the one who offers tea pays for it. Modesty and respect should be the natural attitude at a visit at a mosque(cami).PHARMACY Pharmacy is ECZANE in turkish. In Turkey it is usual to buy medicine without a prescription. It is the Chamber of Pharmacists, which coordinates the pharmacies. Based on the number of inhabitants there are one or more pharmacies, which are on duty to be open outside normal hours. A majority of the pharmacists are women.

BANKSOpening hours are as follows: Monday-Friday 09.00 -12.30 and 13.30- 17.00. To exchange travel cheques you must show passport. You find ATMs everywhere.BİRAHANE(Beer House) A bar, where mainly beer is served is called birahane. BLUE BEAD(Mavi Boncuk)This has nothing to do with Islam but is a superstition. It is found in different sizes. Similiar beliefs exist in other Mediterranean countries. To keep evil away these fascinating blue glass eyes are placed on the clothing of newly born babies, on newly bought house and on the newly bought car.The horseshoe has a similar function in other countries.

BUS TRANSPORT NETWORKTurkey has a well-developed bus transport network. Busses are the most common means of transport for passanger traffic between the cities. Trains are only a transport possibility if one wishes some nostalgic feelings.Busses leave from the bus terminals in the cities and from the main square in villages and small places.MUNICIPAL BUSSESIt is the municipalities which administer the busses and undertake passanger traffic within the city borders.The ticket prices are approximately 1½ YTL in the larger cities and a little less in smaller places.

DOLMUŞDolmuş means full. Dolmuşes have either programmed departure times or they do not start from the departure place before they are filled up. To stop a dolmuş on the way one must wave. Dolmuş is the cheapest means of transport in the big city traffic and between the small towns and villages. They have 10 to 18 seats.

TIPSAll, who work in the service sector appreciate tips. When, for example, you are in a restaurant and content with the service, you must leave a tip. How much? 5 to 10 % of the bill. In some restaurants tips are included in the bill under the name “service”.

DRINKING WATERWater from the tap is not a drinking water, which the European stomachs can tolerate, since it has a higher bacteria and chlore composition than in Europe.Water in bottle can be bought everywhere.

ELECTRICITYTurkey has 220 Volt current as in Europe.

PHOTOGRAPHYIt is forbidden to take pictures of police, military areas and soldiers. One should not take a picture of praying muslim.

BARBER/ COIFFEURIt is cheap to visit barber/coiffeur. Try also manicure and pedicure.

FRUITCheap and delicious, but remember to wash it first.

GECEKONDU Gecekondu is something you meet in the big cities. There has happened a comprehensive process of immigration from the smaller places to the big cities with the hope of better life conditions and better job opportunities.Immıgrants find an empty space and build a house in a short time. These areas may previously have belonged to either the state or private persons. The people who build the gecekondus provide themselves with electricity in an illegal way. Gecekondu can directly be translated as “placed in one night” and can be described as the house, which is built on another person’s property in short time. Some of them are pulled down by the municipality. Some municipalities build house blocks for gecekondu inhabitants, get them to move to these places and offer them suitable conditions for buying the new house.





USEFUL ADVICEProvide for getting enough liquid during the day, for example water, juice or mineral water. Put extra salt on the food, and eat snacks with salt. Avoid food which is badly fried.Protect yourself against the sun with high sunfactor cream and a sun hat.

HAMAM (TURKISH BATH)Hamam offers a nice way to get rid of the old skin. It is a must for any tourist to visit. Try it. In some hamams there are specific days for women. Hamam visits are unfortunately a dying tradition for Turks. Previously it was a meeting/ socialization place. The bride together with the other women usually visits a hamam before the wedding night, or if one is out on a journey then one can consider visiting a hamam. Hamam must not be confused with banyo.

HAREMHarem is a designation for a section in the house reserved for women. The extreme example is found in Topkapı Palace in Istanbul. Except the sultan it was only the eunuchs who were allowed in the harem.

WHAT CAN BE PURCHASED IN TURKEY?*Blue bead *cotton goods *fig( dried in packages) *gold * mohair clothes * coffee or tea cups *spices * filmslides of Turkey and antique cities * meerschaum pipe *music cassettes * onyx *porcelain,wall ornaments *statues of Artemis, Propilos, the Virgin Mary etc. ( of limestone) *textiles * Turkish Delight (Lokum) * Carpets

KAHVE FALI ( Fortune-telling by coffee)When the women come together, it is possible that one of them tells a fortune by inspecting the grounds remaining in the coffee cup. After one has drunk coffee, one turns the coffee cup on the coffee plate. The residues from the coffee cup flows down on the coffee plate. After waiting some time, the coffee cup is turned and what is left in the cup is interpreted. Whether what the fortune-teller tells is a sign of reality or a history is uncertain. We have a turkish saying “Do not believe in fortune-telling , do not either be without fortune-telling.”

CRIMEWhen one is in Turkey, one should not have a naive conception that everybody is reliable. One shall follow the advise, which is valid for all the big cities in the world. It can be claimed that the crime level in Turkey is lower than in many European countries.

WAGESThere are big variations in wages in Turkey. Especially in the private sector, there are such fringe goods as free dwelling, telephone and car. The minimum wage in Turkey is around 200 Pounds per month.

MILITARY ZONESAccording to the law, it is forbidden to take picture of a military zone.

MINARET The slim mosque tower from where people are called in to the prayer five times aday. The person doing this is called müezzin.

MOSQUITOAt the pharmacies or supermarkets you can buy a “mosquito machine”. The device is connected to a socket and tablets are placed on it. A tablet has an effect in 8-9 hours and is placed a couple of hours before sleeping time.Mosquito sprays are sold at the pharmacies.

MONEY From 1.Januar, 2005 Turkey has had a transition to the new money system with the new turkish lire (Yeni Türk Lirası = YTL). Six zeros were erased from the old amount ( Türk Lirası=TL ) and kurus of the old days came back to circulation as yeni kuruş (YKR). Here is a comparison of the old and new units: Before Now100 thousand TL 10 YKR500 thousand TL 50 YKR 1 million TL 1 YTL 5 million TL 5 YTL 10 million TL 10 YTL 20 million TL 20 YTL TAXITaxies have day and night tariffs (night from 00.00 to 06.00) and all taxies have taximeter.

TELEPHONEFor a bigger number of telephone calls a plastic card can be bought. These are of three different categories/prices depending on how long one shall talk.

TIMELocal time in Turkey is equal to GMT plus 2 hours during the summer months.

TOBACCO
Tobacco is sown in the Aegean Region ( amongst others in Akhisar, the old Tyatira), in the Western Black Sea region, The Eastern Turkey and the South Eastern Turkey. Tobacco demands mild climate, but also much rain in the winter. Tobacco merchants and the representatives of the Turkish Monopoly inspects the tobacco from september to december.

TOURISMIt is the Ministry of Tourism in Turkey, which has the responsibility for the tourism.

TOURIST BUSSESTourist busses is a category of busses, which is used for transport of the tourists. There are certain rules concerning maksimum how old they may be etc.The big travel agencies have their own busses, while most of them hire the busses from the tourist bus companies. Tips are a very important source of income for those drivers, who do not own the busses.

TOURIST INFORMATIONAll the big cities have a state-run tourist information office, where one can get information about and help for bus-times, flight times, opening hours at the museums etc. Maps and tourist brochures are available there. Shortly speaking whatever a tourist is in need of.

EXCHANGINGForeign Money can be exchanged at the hotels and exchange offices. ATMs are available everywhere.





FOODRestaurants are available everywhere and they serve reasonable and delicious Turkish food and also international courses of all sorts. A traditional turkish meal starts with “MEZE”.After eating these MEZEs, you can enjoy the traditional turkish main courses. After the main course, fruit or “Tatlı”( a very sweet turkish dessert in different sorts) is served.Börek Pastry, filled with vegetables, cheese or meat. Available in many different types.Dolma Green pepper, grape leaves, tomatoes or eggplant filled with rice or meat.Döner Lambmeat or chicken, stacked on a large upright skewer and roasted. Fish is expensive in Turkey. Fish is almost always grilled. Squids, shrimps and lobsters are also on the menu. One pays in relation to weight and quality.Meze Such cold dishes as tsaziki, filled pepper, bean salad etc.Pide resembles pizza, available in various sorts, for example with vegetables, cheese, egg or meat.Şiş kebap Grilled cubes of skewered meat. Found in various sorts.

BEVERAGESTURKISH TEAAlmost all the turks are fond of turkish tea. Turkish tea is a good start point for starting a conversation. Tea is harvested only in the Eastern Black Sea Region. For making turkish tea, water in the lower teapot must be cooked ,while there is tea in the upper teapot. When the water is cooked, it is poured onto the tea in the upper teapot; and then one must wait for around 10 minutes before tea is ready for serving. The best is to taste turkish tea in a tea-glass.

APPLE TEAApple tea drinking is not usual among the turks. Apple tea is something which the tourists get served in shops or at the hotels.



TURKISH COFFEEThere is a turkish saying : “A cup of coffee is remembered for 40 years”. Nothing can compete with a cup of turkish coffee after a good meal. It can be ordered as sade( without sugar ), az şekerli (with little sugar), orta şekerli(medium) and şekerli (with much sugar). A glass of water goes well with with a cup of coffee.

BEERThe national drink is rakı, but the youth prefer beer. The most well-known brands are Efes (turkish), and Tuborg (produced on license from Denmark). Troy was newly introduced to the market.

RAKIRakı, which is called lion milk by the people, is the national drink. Rakı drinking is not widespread among women. Rakı resembles in taste the greek “ouzo”. It is drunk as either “sek”(without water) or with water added onto it. The last-named method is advised. When you add water, the colour of water is changed to white.

WINEWine comes as the third in consumption after beer and rakı. The turkish brands are Doluca, Yakut, Kavaklıdere, Pamukkale and Kalecik Karası. SHOPPINGTurkey is the ideal place for shopping, so far as leather goods, jewellery, carpets and handwoven kilims are concerned. There are also many shops with smart fashion clothing for reasonable prices.

GoldGold is a popular memory from Turkey. Gold on its own is not cheaper here, since the gold price is ruled by a world market price, which is the same over the world; but wage costs are lower. This makes the salesprice cheaper. Materials are as usual 14 carat; but also 18 and 22 carat gold is available. Price of jewellery is calculated on the basis of the weight of the gold, which is placed on the jewellery, and the work done for the production.Price is calculated in the following way: Gram-unit x gold price x wage

CarpetsKnotted carpets and woven kilims are world-famous both because of its artistic work and quality. They are made throughou Turkey. However, each region has its own pattern and own colours. Handmade carpets are manufactured mainly in four categories:1.pure wool 2. wool/ cotton 3. pure silk 4. silk/ cotton.Hand-woven kilims is a seperate category.

Hand-woven kilims are priced on the basis of the following factors:A: Size of the carpet B: Number of knots per cm2 C: The material used D: The age of the carpet Remember to check that you have “certificate of authenticity” for your carpet, since all the important details are specified on that certificate. It is also of importance for the value of the carpet. Those, who consider buying a carpet, can participate at a carpet information, which can be arranged.




COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb