Ephesus


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Ephesus
May 4th 2011
Published: May 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

EphesusEphesusEphesus

Debbie holding up the pillars.
Fri -Ephesus
I’m a bit behind in the blog but now I am sitting on the ship, overlooking the Greek Island of Patmos surrounded by a jewel blue sea. Beautiful….but we are going back to Turkey, in particular, Ephesus.
What a day! Having been to Pompeii and hearing that Ephesus was so much better I was really looking forward it – but really you can’t compare the two. One is a lost city found, the other has always been there. Pompeii is about the village. Ephesus in its day was a big thriving business centre.
This was the first time we really encountered the crowds but Enis is expert at skirting around them and finding a spot for us to listen. Actually he was very good at giving us a lot of information on the bus before we hit a destination….this did make things a lot easier.
It was all impressive but the building I liked most was the library -I know - for obvious reasons and Brian has taken a sensational photo. Also the very interesting place they conducted business? The toilet! A row of toilets with an open drain a long way below was where deals were discussed. The
EphesusEphesusEphesus

The library at Ephesus
theatre was also impressive and concerts have been held there in the past. We loved our time there but it was time to move on – to see the Turkish carpets.
When we came to Istanbul in 2008 we went to a Turkish carpet display – it was full on and quite overwhelming and so although we love Turkish rugs we were apprehensive. I should not have worried though because this experience was so different. We went and watched the women very cleverly weave the wool and silk, we watched how they remove the silk from the silk worms and the very well spoken owner explained how the rugs tell a story. Then they started to show us the rugs from the very small to the large. So many we loved but eventually we settled on one with the tree of life in the centre – a story I really love and we were thrilled to bits! Most people bought a rug (some bought two). We thought the prices were reasonable for such a work of art.
High from our purchase we were all a happy bunch on the bus – and a free afternoon was planned at our hotel
EphesusEphesusEphesus

Check out the crowd.
the Surmeli – a five star hotel on the beach at Kusadai. While Nobby and Chris went to Kusdasi for shopping, Brian and I enjoyed our surroundings. We had a balcony overlooking the sea and Brian did a couple of paintings while I blogged. We read, walked along the beach before having a gin and tonic by the pool. A thoroughly happy day – and beautiful Turkish rug to love and enjoy when we get home.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

EphesusEphesus
Ephesus

Our group climbing the steps in the amphitheatre.
The Tour GroupThe Tour Group
The Tour Group

All listening intently to Enis at Ephesus.
We bought a magic carpetWe bought a magic carpet
We bought a magic carpet

On the way home - we couldn't resist.


6th May 2011

Love the carpet
Hi - love the carpet, where are you going to display it? Want to know so I can picture it there. Love J
6th May 2011

magic carpet ride
What a magic carpet ride. All sounds a amazing!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb