Efes and Selchuk


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Ephesus
September 20th 2009
Published: September 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

At our hotel we met and became friends with another American and her two boys. She moved to Istanbul a year ago and is teaching at a Turkish prep school. She is a fountain of information and her command of the language is amazing. Together we went to explore Efes and had a great day.

Efes is remarkable. Not just the ruins (which are spectacular) but also the information that is readily laid out along the way. Other ruins we've scrambled around with guide book in hand. Here we had our guide book but also the clearly marked descriptive signs.

The place is huge. First you have to stroll through a sea of tourist stands and the beckoning merchants. There are restaurants, even a gelato stand! And Nancy and Celia, I did resist!

It is an immense site with ruins of temples and theatres. It is easy to imagine a bustling town.

It is quite crowded with tourists brought in by the busload. All around us we hear several languages being spoken. As in Istanbul, it is amazing the number of languages the shopkeepers seem to speak! They beckon you in the language they deem correct. Funny thing is that I am taken for Spanish. Here, as in Istanbul the Turkish people think I am visiting from Spain. Anyway, here are some photos of the sites.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

First AdvertisingFirst Advertising
First Advertising

I overheard a guide explaining the symbols in the stone. The footprint was to direct you, the faint picture of the Goddess Artemis (think fertility). An ancient brothel? I'm just repeating the guide's info.
Ancient Efes streetAncient Efes street
Ancient Efes street

Imagine a busy street. It's kind of easy with the tourists, isn't it?


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb