Lets get outta here!


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria
January 31st 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

As we woke the pump was definately there! Nice blue sky and no wind. Saddled up and in about twenty minutes the clouds came in. Dang.

Rode on and on crap headwind to contend with and the occasional patch of rain. Well I spose we had had a good run.

Pulled over for an early lunch and by the time we finished you wouldnt believe it....the sun was out and our enthusiasm came back!

Cycled on and on. Flat road, sun was out and we were aiming for Turkey. As the day drew to a close we had a chat and formed a plan. To try and get a home stay for the night. It would be a great way to end Syria and would save putting up with each other in the tent.

And boy howdie didnt Syria deliver.

We stopped in at the frantic waving of a couple of guys sipping tea in front of their home. We obliged their offers of tea and bread. A few more guys pulled up and we were soon sipping tea and having broken yarns with about half a dozen guys. The younger kids were awesome. When an older Syrian would arrive they would give up thir seat, and they were always on the job with filling up everyone's tea and water glasses. These kids had so much respect for their elders, something a bit lacking in western nations.

And here is the best bit....

After about half an hour one of the guys told us we could stay at their home! This was with no suggestion or hinting from either of us. So they had offered us shelter.

They got out mattresses and more tea and put on the stove. As the guys left one asked if we needed clothes (must have looked a tad shabby). Declined. But now they had offered us clothing.

An hour later a whole bunch rocked up and we had a bit of a shindig. People would come and go and chat and laugh. I pulled out some photos of home and australia- all were suitably impressed. Of course they would be its Australia- the greatest nation on earth!

And sure enough a massive tray of food arrived and we tucked in till our bellies were full. I ate so much I think there is still some cheese lodged in my brain somewhere.
As the crew all filed out there was much hugging and kissing on the left then right cheek. Being from a western nation this just wouldnt wash back home. But here it was a natural thing to do and a great way to express friendship and closeness. Something ill have to try and get the boys into back home. Share the man love!

So on our last night Syria provided the big three.
Food;
shelter;
and clothing.

Probably the best send off for a country ever. These guys were all so cool and accomodating. It was a real privledge to stay with them and experience this real life existence in Syria. Being so comfortable and safe half a world away was a great feeling. Lying in bed as I was drifting off to sleep I have to say I was feeling pretty darn good. And that was after riding 98km as well!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb