Home Sweet Hostel


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria » South » Damascus
June 29th 2009
Published: June 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, continuing the game of catch-up, here's a little bit about our home for the first week: "The Damascus Hostel".

First of all, the owners and staff are pretty much the nicest people ever. Even though our flight was 1.5 hours late, Johnny was still standing patiently at the baggage claim door when we finally straggled through. I think we were told "welcome, welcome" almost 20 times on the 20 minute drive in from the airport. Then, we discovered that the hostel is literally perched on top of the ancient city wall, and they pulled our bags straight up the wall by a pulley as Johnny drove us deep into the less-than-one-lane wide streets of Bab Touma, the Christian section of the Old City. There, we were met by Khaled, who walked us down a winding alley to the hostel door, then got us settled in with total kindness and hilarious intensity of hospitality.

The hostel itself is an extremely old house, built piled around and above a central courtyard. It's populated by a collection of sweet, helpful, and funny people who helped us practice our Arabic, cooked for us, took us swimming, made calls for us, found us information on anything we needed, and chatted with us every day while plying us with coffee, tea, and "Choco Frosty" on pita. They saved our butts on numerous occasions, and we can't wait to head back for our last two nights in Damascus.

NOT TO MENTION, the animals! Life in the house revolves around a skinny rabbit and a pair of grouchy tortoises. Baba Ganouj, the bunny, is Raymond (the owner)'s baby, and probably the most spoiled rabbit in Syria. Raymond told us that he had saved him from hungry neighbours at Easter, and hungry alley cats just the day before. Baba loves french fries, pooping, stealing the tortoises' carrots, and shoving his way onto your lap. We just love Baba.

And now, some pictures!

- Jordan


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Leah and Jordan's RoomLeah and Jordan's Room
Leah and Jordan's Room

There's a fourth bed against the opposite wall, but we had it to ourselves! And they only charged us for a double!
BathroomBathroom
Bathroom

Very common in Damascus - the shower is just a spout next to the toilet. Also discovery location of our first cockroach, named Ali.
Candy Picnic!Candy Picnic!
Candy Picnic!

Left over airplane candy must be taken care of! In Jordan and Leah's room.
View Down into the CourtyardView Down into the Courtyard
View Down into the Courtyard

Nighttime. When the sun goes away, they roll back the canvas that covers the courtyard and let the fresh air in.
View from the TopView from the Top
View from the Top

... Of the hostel, right on the Old City wall! And in case you wondered, the highway sign helpfully points the way to Lebanon.
Jordan and Baba GaoujJordan and Baba Gaouj
Jordan and Baba Gaouj

Risking "wee-wee on your lap", as a sign in the hostel warns, Jordan cuddles Baba.
Raymond and BabaRaymond and Baba
Raymond and Baba

Son and father, Sultan and subject
Baba Is SleepyBaba Is Sleepy
Baba Is Sleepy

Napping with his head on Jordan's foot.
Eric and LeahEric and Leah
Eric and Leah

In the hostel at night.
Bye-bye!Bye-bye!
Bye-bye!

Raymond, Khalid, and one-half of a sullen French family wave goodbye from the top of the wall.


3rd July 2009

Wow!
Hospitable that place looks. I love the cute rabbit pictures and the courtyard with the opening roof. I also think I recognize that Low Alpine internal frame :) Keep soaking it all in and living it up, you two. Enjoy those hard classes. Love, Steve
6th July 2009

WOWZABAGOOBY~
JORPAY! Photos look tres cool! That bunny seems awesome. I'm glad you're safe and awesome. LOVE YOU!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb