Damascus - the oldest civilisation


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria » South » Bosra
September 5th 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

24 Aug - almost recovered and able to face the day exploring Damascus. Although poor Ali has had to bale out.

First, we visit the National Museum which has amazing artifacts from 1500-2000BC, including a tablet with the first recognised alphabet, as well as a reconstructed family tomb from Palmyeira, which is very poignant. Mind boggling to think back so many years in history and religion.

Next, we visit the colourful Railway Station and Hammadiyeh Suq before exploring the Ommayad Mosque (including the shrine of Saladdin). This is probably the most stunning mosque I've seen, due it's size, decor, being able to hear the call to prayer while sitting in the courtyard, watching the muslims carry out their ablutions and then watching the men / women and children praying. An amazing experience I won't forget. Also within the mosque is supposedly a tomb containing the head of John the Baptist...who was beheaded by ? (King Herod?) Surreal.

By lunchtime I'm feeling better and starving. Have a buffet lunch in an Aladdin's cave type place before having a quick look round Azem's Palace. This is a great example of Damascean living and is mentioned in the interesting book I bought at the museum - Daughter of Damascus.

On the way back to the hotel we experience the first rain since I left Scotland!!! And boy did it pour.

Pick up Ali who is feeling better then have some dinner and a look round a nearby handicrafts market - Ali pur-chased but I behaved, gotta keep the weight of that backpack down.

25 Aug - oh dear, another bad night with the Syrian skit, so felt awful most of the morning while we were on the bus 😞 Visited Bosra, another crusader citadel but this one stands out due to it's impressive ampitheatre. Crossing of the Syria / Jordan border is relatively uneventful and takes less than a few hours. We drive through the most picturesque no-man's land so far...goats and everything!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.2337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb