Syria, Aleppo (Halab)


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria » North » Aleppo
April 19th 2008
Published: April 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast we took a cab to the Citadel. A very interesting old structure in the center of the city. We then made our way to the city’s bazaar. This place goes on and on. One after the other covered streets filled with vendors selling anything and everything you can imagine. There are little to no tourist here, mostly the locals doing their shopping. We took some pictures, haggled with the vendors and walked away with a few things to bring home with us.
In the afternoon we drove to see some ruins in a little town of Afarmia (Qal 'at al Madiq). This place was had to find and very remote, but well worth it. It was late in the day and the low light was amazing on these very impressive ruins. We also met some of the locals. There was a family there that lived close that had come to the sight together. The younger daughter 9 (probably around 12) spoke the best English. They were curious about where we were from what our names were. They offered us chewing gum and we chatted with them for a while. There was also a group of guys that work at the sight. Al got a lesson on how to wear his head dress , we shared our baklava and they shared their tea. What a great experience. We left just before sundown and drove to Homs, Syria where we would stop for the night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb