Beirut Marathon!


Advertisement
Lebanon's flag
Middle East » Lebanon » Beirut
November 30th 2008
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This year's Beirut Marathon invited local NGOs to set up water stations for the runners. We were assigned to Kilometer 25 in Jal el Dib.

The migrant workers and social workers from Ethiopia set up a microphone and loudspeakers, saying, "Ethiopia, Ethiopia, go, go" when the Ethiopian marathon runners passed by. When a runner from Iraq or Egypt passed by, they were yelling, "Marathon, yalla, yalla!" I didn't think that cheering on some runners could be so fun, but it was a great to be dancing and clapping and encouraging them on as they passed us by.....

The guy with no legs was the most impressive. To be honest, we felt a bit small given that we have legs and we can't even run the marathon, so I have to make a note to remember him the next time I feel sorry for myself when I have a small problem. Perhaps more appropriate here than elsewhere, the mood was festive with all people from all countries, disabled and not, running fast and running slow, some walking, some serious, some playful, but it was at the marathon were everyone was cheered on! Everybody was trying their best, running against their own hurdles, and overcoming them--all the while, complete strangers were offering water and cheering them as they passed by.

Marathon, yalla, yalla!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb