Holiest of holies - entry 2


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel
November 5th 2009
Published: November 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our first day in Jerusalem started with what we thought would be an innocent run with Matti. I thought, he's twice my age...how fast can he really run? Think no more folks, we ran on and off for 3 hours!! I took up running 10 days before going to Israel and could not believe that Matti who is not a regular runner gave us the running tour of Jerusalem. We saw all the important buildings in town before heading to a bustling market where people were busy shopping for Shabbat dinner. I started my fresh juice kick that day and tried to have a glass of Orange/Apple/Pomegranate a day. Shabbat, sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, is serious in Israel. People shop for fresh products, everyone has family over and the meal is special with wine and flowers adorning each table.

We were invited for Shabbat dinner at Meir & Simona's (Drora's nephew and his family) beautiful home where we dined outside on a large deck since Sukkot was in full bloom. Sukkot is a pilgrim holiday where many Jews make their pilgrimage to Jerusalem. It's a holiday that lasts 7 days where people build temporary housing on their decks or lawns and make that their living area eat all their meals there. Sukkot
The whole family was involved in the dinner preparation and we feasted on hummus, salmon, quiche, lasagna, numerous delicious salads, cakes, cookies and fresh fruit! I really enjoyed hanging out with the kids and was happy to see them again later in our trip.

Our second day in Jerusalem started the history portion of the trip. We had a great guide, Yo'av, who was extremely knowledgeable, patient, perceptive and nice. There were some rumors of tension in the Old City when we arrived so Matti wanted to be extra careful taking us there. Turns out this calm and sweet guide had a gun with his history charts in his bag. I was blown away to think we were getting a guided tour of the Old City in Jerusalem with a guide/bodyguard.

We walked the walls of the Old City, saw the Muslim and Armenian quarters, ate hummus, saw the path Jesus walked with the cross, and visited the Church of the Holy Sepulchre - the place where Jesus was crucified and buried. Church of the Holy Sepulchre This church is a huge pilgrimage site for the Christians and we saw many people overcome with emotion at the site of Jesus' burial. The Old City is divided into four living quarters - Muslim, Armenian, Jewish and Christian. The history is more than interesting and worth a start here History of Old City Jerusalem is claimed as the religious center by the Jews, Christians and Muslims.

We also enjoyed a day with a family friend, Motti Arad, who took us on a tour of the Western Wall and then to the Israel Museum to see the Dead Sea Scrolls. We took an underground tour of the Western Wall (Wailing Wall is only part of the his huge wall seen above ground. Western Wall The reason people pray at the Western Wall is because it is physically the closest one can come to the actual holiest of the holy place for Jews. The place where God first appeared to Abraham is what is beneath the Dome of the Rock and Jews consider that as the most holy place for them. During the underground tour, we came to a part that's physically the closest anyone can get to the holiest of holies. So I can say I've been there!



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



7th November 2009

Inspirational
Wow you guys are RAD! You make me want to go to Israel hopefully one day soon I'll go with Damoon. Have fun and please keep eating that delicious food! I'm gonna have to go buy me some falafel right NOW!!! hugs, VL

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb