The Negeb and Beersheba


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » South District » Be'er Sheva
September 20th 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Negeb is an unbelieveably harsh and desolate place. There are huge canyons, immense cliffs, and very little plant life. During the Exodus, both Edom and Moab refused to allow Israel to cross their territory, forcing the Israelites to enter the Negeb.

Aaron the High Priest died on Mt. Hor.

One of the few cities in the Negeb was Beersheba. The ancient city is now an archeological site. We saw a well that was dug by Abraham, filled in by the Philistines, and then Abimelech and Abraham concluded an oath that the Philistines wouldn't do that anymore. Abraham paid Abimelech seven livestock for the promise, so Beersheba means "Well of the Oath" and also "Well of the Seven".

It was from here that Abraham was sent to sacrifice Isaac on Moriah. Isaac and Jacob both lived in this city for a while.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



21st September 2008

"Is that where daddy is?"
21st September 2008

were you able to walk through beersheeba? what an amazing shot.
21st September 2008

The landscape looks so desolate! I am sure Edom and Moab thought the Israelites would not make it there. There can never be enough water for a trek millions strong if you have to rely on natural sources.
22nd September 2008

Amazing!
This is amazing stuff what a blessing! Stay Safe
22nd September 2008

I am really enjoying the updates on your trip. It sounds like you are visiting some spectacular places. Enjoy!!
22nd September 2008

amazing
wow! what great pics! looks really dry. hope you are still drinking plenty of water. shaunda
25th September 2008

I know this is an experience of a lifetime. I feel like I'm traveling along with you with all the updates. Enjoy the trip and we look forward to your return.
25th September 2008

WOW
This is my first time to read your entries This trip is AWESOME !What an opportunity to bring the bible to life be safe

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb