Galilee


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Tiberias
February 22nd 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We started the day with a sail on the Sea of Galilee. It was a beautiful morning. The sun was shining, and the water sparkled. We sailed from Tiberias on the southern end of Galilee. In the time of Y-shua, Tiberias was the capital of Galilee and the seat of Herod Antipas, one of Herod the Great’s sons. After an hour of sailing, we landed at Ginosar on the north end of Galilee. The Sea of Galilee is 13 miles long, 9 miles wide, and approximately 80 feet deep. The Yarden River (Jordan River) enters the Sea of Galilee from the north and exits from the south before continuing further.

From Ginosar, we drove to Kefar Nahum (Capernaum). We visited the ancient ruins of the city, and saw what was left of a magnificent synagogue that once stood there. We also the ruins of some architectural decorations that archeologists speculate may be a representation of the Ark of the Covenant. Kefar Nahum was a thriving fishing village during the time of Y-shua, and the Brit Hadashah (the New Covenant) tells us that He visited here many times during His ministry. Kefar Nahum is one of the two villages that Kefa (Peter) lived in.

From there, we drove to what is commonly referred to as the Mount of Beatitudes. We climbed a steep trail cut into the side of the hill. On every side of us were mustard plants in bloom and flag sage brush. At the top of the path, there was a small cave with benches made of split logs, and an apple tree growing out of it. This is believed to be the spot not only where Y-shua taught His disciples, but also where He delivered the Sermon on the Mount. It was an amazing spot with a clear view down to the bottom of the hill and out to the Sea of the Galilee. It was also an astonishing natural ampitheatre. From the cave, you could hear voices all the way down to the shore. We could even hear voices from a boat that was passing at the time. We also visited the nearby site of Tabgha, where Y-shua performed the miracle of the loaves and fishes. We had lunch of fish from the Sea of Galilee and then watched a movie on the history of the local area.

From there, we drove to the Yarden River. At the Yarden, we had a mikvah. A mikvah is a ritual immersion for the purpose of cleansing and purification. During the mikvah, you immerse yourself three times while reciting specific blessings. It is early spring here in Israel, and that water was very cold.

On our way back, we stopped at a date factory where we enjoyed some samples and did a little shopping. We are back at the Kibbutz and getting ready for dinner and some rest.

Shalom Alechem




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb