Israel: Confession, Conflict and Confusion in the “Land of Milk and Honey"


Advertisement
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District
March 9th 2016
Published: March 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

For those of you who have been holding off on coming to Israel because you are world travelers and still have some Muslim countries you want to visit, we can let you know that you don’t have to wait any longer. Israel has stopped stamping passports. When you arrive they print a small sticker the size of many visas we’ve had and hand it to you. They do not affix it to your passport pages; the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

What? No SwimmingWhat? No Swimming
What? No Swimming

Sea of Galilee
Middle Eastern Food---NOTMiddle Eastern Food---NOT
Middle Eastern Food---NOT

After a month of middle eastern food we needed beer and pizza.
Town of JesusTown of Jesus
Town of Jesus

Capernaum
CaparnaumCaparnaum
Caparnaum

Town of Jesus
Touring MasadaTouring Masada
Touring Masada

Where the Jews held out for as long as they could.
Wow! Now that is a bagel!Wow! Now that is a bagel!
Wow! Now that is a bagel!

Old City Jerusalem
Entertaining SignEntertaining Sign
Entertaining Sign

You won't see this store at the mall back home.
Sacred MomentSacred Moment
Sacred Moment

River Jordan
Emotional EventEmotional Event
Emotional Event

After being baptized river Jordan
BaptismBaptism
Baptism

Special event for those who traveled far.
River JordanRiver Jordan
River Jordan

Don't cross those bouyes



9th March 2016

The Kotel
If you are still there, you might want to take the time to take the tour of the tunnels that lie adjacent to the Western Wall. Isreal started to excavate them shortly after they gained control of Jerusalem after the Six Day War. You can see the original street leading to the original entrance to the Temple Mount - it's absolutely fascinating. Go to thekotel.org for more info, or see my blog "The Western Wall" which has some pretty dreadful pictures I took while underground.
10th March 2016

The Kotel
I'm afraid we left Jerusalem a few days ago to explore the rest of the country. So much to see here. My head is full at this point. Israel is rich in history, sadly the past has been a bit chaotic.
9th March 2016

Such a nice blog
What a great read, thank you for such great descriptions. I was very happy to see some pizza in the pictures as well as some Brutus shots. I hope you are moving on to your next country and continue to have a safe and wonderful trip.
10th March 2016

Nice blog
Thanks Brendan, missing you. Israel is a very interesting country-- so complex. We've enjoyed ourself but are ready to move on to Europe today. Brutus is having a good time.
10th March 2016

Minefields everywhere
Great job of treading through the Political and Religious minefield that is the holy land. You confirmed my suspicion that it would be sensory overload and beer would be needed to cope with it. Still stuck in Iran at the moment so those photos of beer are making me very jealous. Hope your next blog comes with a sound file so we can hear that yodelling.
10th March 2016

Oh...so many minefields
Yes, religious, political and physical minefields in Israel. I have very mixed feelings about our time there. Glad I went, glad we've left. Sorry about the photos of beer...that would be tough. Soon enough for you...we are happy to now be in Switzerland where they have good beers. Life is pretty grand. We had a short time in Tel Aviv and wish we had allotted more time there. It is a clean, modern city with lots going on. They call it sin city...we didn't see any of that but looks like a great place.
11th March 2016
Entertaining Sign

Weapons and Puppies
Ok, so maybe it and I are being a bit sacrilegious, though it seems this juxtaposition is appropriate for the confusion you felt with all the religious differences and antagonism--no wonder you're now going to have a holiday among chocolate, beer and mountains. Good for you for visiting and trying to get a grip on this very conflicted part of the world. I generally like cultural mixes--how amazing if they could get along here--a model for the world. Loved the kibbutz and winery visits, the Church of the Nativity with decorations by three branches of Christianity (but, I mean really, how do they know where the manger was?), and seeing the Dead Sea from another perspective. Whew, what a week!
11th March 2016
Entertaining Sign

Weapons and puppies
Yes it was a week- many times we had sensory overload. The Kibbutz and winery visit added some lightness to all. The churches in Bethlehem and Nazareth were something special. This country is one of the most diverse we have ever visited. Thanks for commenting.
11th March 2016

Wow!
Thanks for taking us on this trip with you. I can imagine how you felt trying to absorb all that information/history...such a complex and complicated place. That pizza doesn't look kosher ;)
11th March 2016

Wow!
That pizza had goat cheese, mushroom, onion and pesto. It turned out to be a great combination. Israel is complex and complicated. We thought we knew a few things but turned out it was nearly a complete education. I guess that is why we actually go to these places rather than just reading about them.
12th March 2016

Informative
Very informative blog with the politics and religion of this holy country.
13th March 2016

Informative
The Holy Land is a truly complex and complicated part of the world. The visit is different than most countries.
12th March 2016
The Dead Sea

Dead Sea
The Dead Sea has been on my wish list for more than 30 years. I have to go there some day. The reason the water level has sunk is that too much water from river Jordan is diverted to plantations. But you knew that of course. There are plans to actually pipe salt water from the ocean into the Dead Sea to raise the levels. Don't know how likely it is that those plans ever come true though. /Ake
13th March 2016
The Dead Sea

Dead Sea
Yes the shrinking water levels are becoming a big issue. As you can imagine they have studied it and have varying ideas on how to solve the problem and yet have done little yet but talk about it. I think they will need to do something soon if they can save it. Amazingly big changes. Thanks for the comment.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb