Israël and Egypt 2012


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District
May 10th 2012
Published: October 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

My first photos today were actually taken yesterday evening as we set out to see a light show depicting the long history of Jerusalem. We sat outside and the Tower of David Museum served as a backdrop for the mesmerizing images. The story begins with King David playing music on the rooftops of the city...the Queen of Sheba visiting King Solomon's palace...the destruction of Jerusalem...the Babylonian exile...return to Zion...the reconstruction of the Temple...the destruction of the Second Temple by the Romans...early Christianity...the arrival of the Crusaders...the Mameluk City...the Ottoman City...and ends with Jerusalem today.

Today is another free day, so we once again head for the shops in Old Jerusalem. It would take weeks before tiring of all the sights, sounds, and aromas of this fascinating part of the city.

As a Canadian, I am accustomed to the concept that an "old" building, or road, dates back three or four hundred years. So it was a bit mind-blowing to walk on the Byzantine Cardo, which was the main street of Jerusalem in 5th century C.E. Anyone who has ever been to Quebec knows that we have a hard time building roads to last more than 20 years!!!!

Old
Last day JerusalemLast day JerusalemLast day Jerusalem

Connie and Jacques, my roomie, Teresa, and our leader, Yves
Jerusalem also contains the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre. Many believe it was on this site that Jesus died and was buried, although, as I mentioned previously, the site of Garden Tomb also has many advocates. In the early 2nd century C.E. a temple of Aphrodite was built on this site. In about 325/326 C.E. Emperor Constantine ordered that the temple be demolished and commissioned a local Bishop to build a church on the site. The building was damaged by fire in 614 C.E. by the Persians but was rapidly restored. Over the centuries the church was the center of much religious and political strife. Today it is home to branches of Eastern Orthodoxy, and Oriental Orthodoxy, as well as Roman Catholicism.


Additional photos below
Photos: 123, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Jerusalem Light ShowJerusalem Light Show
Jerusalem Light Show

seems Yves is tired of having being stalked by the paparazzi
Jerusalem Light ShowJerusalem Light Show
Jerusalem Light Show

Joanne...now try to focus...
Jerusalem Light ShowJerusalem Light Show
Jerusalem Light Show

check out the lapiz lazuli and Eilat stone necklace and earrings
JerusalemJerusalem
Jerusalem

I may become vegetarian


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb