Caesarea Maritima & Armageddon


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Haifa District »  Caesaria
September 15th 2015
Published: September 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We visited two sites today as we drove north of Jerusalem on our way to the Galilee, where we will be for the next week. Today’s sites were not necessarily spiritual visits, but they are certainly connected to archaeology and our Judaeo-Christian faith. Caesarea Maritima is best known for the palace of the Roman procurator Pontius Pilate and as one of the locations of Paul’s imprisonment (Acts 23:23-27). The next site we visited was continually inhabited from the 6th Millennia BC until the 4th Century BC; yes, 20 times this location was settled and re-settled for close to 5,000 years and then slowly abandoned about 300 years before Jesus. Throughout Megiddo’s storied history, its nearby Jezreel Valley has hosted numerous and legendary battles. Perhaps, this is why John of Patmos chose this site for the final battle between good and evil at the end of times (Rev 16:16). Armageddon is etymologically related to Har Megiddo (Mt. Megiddo). As I share pictures of these sites, I will highlight some of the archaeology and scriptural connections.



At the conclusion of our day, we drove into the city of Tiberius; I was suddenly overcome with a feeling of intense joy as I saw the Sea of Galilee for the first time. I felt a sudden and immediate connection to this geography that Jesus, himself, had most certainly seen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Stone marking palace of Pontius Pilate Stone marking palace of Pontius Pilate
Stone marking palace of Pontius Pilate

On the 2nd line the letters "ius Pilatus" are visible.
Stratum, layers studied by archaeologists.Stratum, layers studied by archaeologists.
Stratum, layers studied by archaeologists.

The various layers reveal settlements over the passage of time, allowing archaeologists to date various settlements.
Sacred Area inside the fortress.Sacred Area inside the fortress.
Sacred Area inside the fortress.

Ruins of mosque built on top of church built on top of various temples.
Israelite Gate (C10 BC)Israelite Gate (C10 BC)
Israelite Gate (C10 BC)

Often attributed to the massive building and fortification of King Solomon throughout his kingdom (1 Kings 9:15).
Jezreel ValleyJezreel Valley
Jezreel Valley

Future site of Armageddon (Rev 16:16)?
Cows of MegiddoCows of Megiddo
Cows of Megiddo

...not the cows of Bashan (Amos 4:1)
Temple Area Temple Area
Temple Area

As many as 17 temples were built in this area dating as early as 4th Millennium BC; the large circular object in the center is an altar used for sacrifice from the 2nd Millennium BC.
Current HighwayCurrent Highway
Current Highway

Follows a similar route as the Via Maris, an ancient trade route which connected Egypt to Mesopotamia.
Re-enacting the 1964 meeting between Paul VI and Israeli President Zalman Shazar.Re-enacting the 1964 meeting between Paul VI and Israeli President Zalman Shazar.
Re-enacting the 1964 meeting between Paul VI and Israeli President Zalman Shazar.

Paul the VI was the first modern-era pope to visit the Holy Land, this historic meeting took place here at Megiddo.
Israelite Era (C10-8 BC) Four-Room HouseIsraelite Era (C10-8 BC) Four-Room House
Israelite Era (C10-8 BC) Four-Room House

Google images of Israelite Four-Room House; you'll get a better idea of what this looked like...
StablesStables
Stables

Likely built by King Solomon (1 Kings 9) or later Israelite king.


Tot: 0.338s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.2637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb