Esfahan


Advertisement
Iran's flag
Middle East » Iran » West » Esfahan
September 24th 2005
Published: October 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Khomeni SquareKhomeni SquareKhomeni Square

The famous square at the center of Esfahan was used for playing polo some centuries ago.
No one should leave Iran without a visit to Esfahan. I took the bus in the evening and since it's only six hour from Tehran to Esfahan I arrived in the middle of the night. Everything was very quiet and the streets were empty. After walking the silent city a bit I found a soup corner that was open all night, the owner was friendly, he gave me a tea and some bread for free. Together with the leftover cheese from the mountain that was almost a nice breakfast.
When the sun finally came up I found a good backpacker hotel. Cheap, a courtyard with some plants in the center, and an Australian who told me how to play backgammon. Here I also met a German who had been studying psychology in Marburg, Germany. How small the world can be...

Later I explored the city. There are many beautiful buildings in Esfahan. Most famous are the Mosques at Khomeni Square and the brigdes over the river. So Esfahan is a real sightseeing place. Many Iranians come here for that purpose, too. You also find lots of art shops, selling carpets, miniature paintings, and silver smith work.
In the evening I
Ceeling of the Women's MosqueCeeling of the Women's MosqueCeeling of the Women's Mosque

The Women's Mosque is covered with beautifully brown an blue painted tilings all over it's inside and outside.
walked down to the river to have a look at all the bridges. The most famous one has 33 arces giving it the name Si-o-Se Bridge, si-o-se meaning thirty and three.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Aladdin's WorldAladdin's World
Aladdin's World

In the bazar area next to Khomeni Square you can get lost very easy. Just to find yourself in some enchanted courtyard looking like in the world of Aladdin.
Bridge with TeahouseBridge with Teahouse
Bridge with Teahouse

Inside some of the bridges there have been build teahouses.
Si-O-Se BridgeSi-O-Se Bridge
Si-O-Se Bridge

In the evening the Esfahanians like to stroll along the river and over the bridges. The older bridges are for pedestrians only. This is the famous bridge with the 33 arces. Next to the first arce there is also a teahouse build in.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb