Mecca in Iran - Mashhad


Advertisement
Iran's flag
Middle East » Iran » East » Mashhad
May 31st 2011
Published: May 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mashhad was always on the list to visit, not only because very few tourists make it this far eastern of Iran, and most importantly, it is also home to the Iman Reza, one of the holiest and important shrine for Muslims.

Being one of the most holiest city in Middle East & Central Asia, Mashhad is very conservative. My partner, was required to wear Chatdor at all times within the complex, which is available at the entrance for free, as this city receives tons of thousand Shiite pilgrims from all over the world.

My first port of call in this second largest city, of course was this huge 24-7 Iman Reza Complex, or called Hamam in Farsi (not Hamam in Arabic as in Turkish Bath), and the surrounding buildings. The main shrine, located right in the center of the complex, built in 17th century with stunning and shining golden dome, surrounded by museums, mosques, libraries, colleges, bookshops, supermarkets and so on.

The main Shrine, and the countyards, are off-limits to non-Muslims by Islamic law. However, we were so lucky that invited and allowed to visit most part of the countyards, accompanied by the guide, from International Relations Office, for free!

And ethnically and generally, Persians seem a lot more Caucasians looking than anywhere in Arab world I‘ve visited, and they often have blue and green eyes with Roman noses.

Next morning I woke up at 8am and made an excursion to Sarakhs, 130km away from Mashhad and took 3 hours by bus. Sarakhs is on the border with Turkmenistan, there is nothing much in this little border town and the only highlight and remarkable is Rubat Sharaf. Built in the 12th century, and it is one of the oldest and largest Caravanserai in Persia.

Persian, are one of the most friendliest and nation in the world, and are extremely polite as well, I had so many local people approaching to me, introduce themselves, welcoming me to Iran, show me around, and outside the holy complex, I also had a whole crowd of schoolgirls ran up and take a photo with me. They do not see a lot of tourists in this country especially in Mashhad, but the once they see, they really take good care of tourists.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb