i wonder....


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City
April 24th 2007
Published: April 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My eyes are continually being opened; to what exactly i am looking at, i am still not sure. Walking off the place in Munich was my first blink in time. Buying a metro ticket in Paris was the second one. Sitting on the train in Barcelona was another. This is where i began to realize i might be waking up to something. Sitting in the little cafe in Switzerland, another blink. Walking into the Santa Maria Basillica here in Rome, another.
Each blink has opened my eyes more. Each time i begin to wonder what it is i am seeing. Something about communication, culture, human nature. Which one? All of them?
Feeling like a minority here in Europe, feeling ignorant of culture practices, feeling menial for not knowing the language.
Noticing depravity is cross cultural, noticing the need to feel complete, noticing the extent of the hidden pain.
Wanting to understand, wanting to help, wanting to share.
There have been many ideas, thoughts, and questions that have been running through my head. one that i keep stumbling across is the concept behind a language or communication in general.
Walking into a foreign airport, attempting to buy a metro ticket, sitting on the train, eating in a resturaunt, admiring a church; In all of these situations I have experienced a juxtoposition. The thrill of culture different than mine; soaking it in and enjoying the differences. Then there is the feeling of not knowing, not understanding, not comprehending or feeling lost and alone.
I wonder, is culture bad when we cant communicate. Is culture to blame? I guess the root of different languages comes from the tower of Babel. Spoiling mans plan to 'make it on his own' by turning the dialect into, well, babbling. From there mankind has perfected their babbel, into groups and subgroups and the like. So many different forms, so complicated, so frustrating.
I wonder if maybe that is part of the glory set before us, in hope, for that one day. Enduring the hardship now, of communicating through a barrier, yet still fulfilling the great commission. So one day we arrive, a nation together, in one unifed language and one unified purposed. You might get a taste of this in coporate worship. Sitting in worship and listening to the congregation singing together, all of us joined in the same words to praise the same God. That is only one language, imagine all nations together!!
So much more to think about, maybe i can elaborate on my thoughts more later.
on a side note, yesterday we spent the afternoon hiking in the Swiss Alps. From there we took a sleeper train and arrived in Rome this morning. Its so surreal.

as they say here,
(I dont know how to spell it, but i will try....)
A revviour ducci
Kinsey

Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb