Day 4 and 5


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City » Vatican City
May 19th 2012
Published: May 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ciao! Sorry we skipped a day, as you'll see, friday was quite an eventful day... It was our last day in Paris. We started the day at the Arc de Triumphe and then walked down the Champs Elysees. It was gorgeous and super cool, considering all that has happened there. We went through the Place della Concorde and saw the obelisk, where Marie Antoinette and others lost their heads. We also met a few pickpockets, but outwitted them all!

We finally came to the louvre, where we planned to spend our last few peaceful hours. Right. At the desk, we were informed that our pre-ordered tickets needed to be picked up back at Champs Elysees, so Sophie and Dad raced back over to pick them up. We finally were able to enter, but our visit was rushed to say the least. Still, we had a bunch of interesting experiences. First we saw the venus de milo and many other exciting statues. In the art gallery, we saw tons of famous and beautiful pictures. Mom's favorite was the virgin mother with the green cushion, which was actually a picture of Mary, Jesus, and a green pillow. It must have been a very special pillow, because Jesus got booted from the title.

Emily's best time was fighting tons of little old ladies to see the Mona Lisa. Apparently, in France, saying 'pardon' allows you to trample people. Even though a trip to the louvre was quick, it was amazing to see so many masterpieces.

After the louvre, we bought some souveniers, grabbed lunch, and headed to our overnight train. One thing we have discovered in Paris, the train system is meant to make you hopelessly lost. It's incredibly organized, just in a way no one can understand. After finally reaching our stop, we looked at our tickets, and realized we had misread them. Our station was actually on the other side of paris, and we had 1 hour. We rushed back, desperately running from train to train, crushing people as we crammed into the crowded trains with our seven huge bags. Yet, despite the chaos, we still reached the train in time, without losing anyone! After walking for what felt like miles, we reached our car, the very last one, and were told there was a problem with our car. We turned around and dragged ourselves back to the very front, and finally crashed in the train.

That night, all seven of us slept in one little sleeper car, and it was some of the best sleep we've had all week.

We arrived in Rome at 9 this morning, changed quickly, and went off to meet Cardinal Burke, the Prefect for the liturgical tribunal (we think is his title...) basically, for the church supreme court, he's the chief justice. One of dad's friends arranged a meeting for us, and it was incredible to meet with him.

The rest of the day has been spent wandering around Rome. We threw our coins into the Trivine Fountain and have, of course, had alot of gelato. Can't wait to go to mass tomorrow at the Vatican! Ciao Bella! Thinking of you all!

And congratulations to Maddie on graduation! We're so proud of you!

Advertisement



20th May 2012

CLOSES!!!!!!
We are wondering if you are getting these messages?? Wow, sounds you had a very eventful Day 4 and 5 :) we are just imagining you running to catch that train ... GOD BLESS ya'll!! And now, Rome! Technology is incredible that we can read what you've done at the end of the day, thats so cool!! Makes us feel like we're right there .. ok, well not RIGHT there, just 'there there' :) Give our love to the Holy Father for us :) LOVE you and MISS you all, :) Mark, Claire, Anna, Maddie, Joe, Luke and Katie

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb