The Welsh Trip


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Pembrokeshire » Pembroke
February 27th 2007
Published: March 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Menai BridgeThe Menai BridgeThe Menai Bridge

The Menai with Snowdonia in the background
February 2007

Hello Bo & Dud,

February already!! I can see that the next few months are going to zip past leading up to our great adventure.

Half term came around very quickly and so we had our first outing of the year to North Wales. Fortunately, we were able to get away before the snow brought things to a halt in Derbyshire. We had a sprinkle of snow, some dull days and a little rain, but a couple of sunny days which more than compensated. I’ve not visited North Wales for more years than I care to remember. I spend some memorable times in Rhyl when I was a teenager and got my first Bra there from M & S, when I was 13 years old. Rhyl is caravan static city and is obviously the Skegness of the area - not our sort of place. However, there’s plenty to go at in the area we found several places that could do with further investigation.

Anglesey is a wonderful place, so much space and the views of Snowdon and the surrounding area are magnificent. Llandudno reminds me of sea side when I was a child. Lots of beach, long promenade and a pier - ideal for young families. The hotels along the sea front mostly had no vacancies; coaches full of SAGA travellers were coming and going in abundance. Howard was amazed at the expansion of the town and the huge retail development. He was pleased to see the Milk Bar (of which he has fond memories as a child) was still there, although internally refurbished out of all recognition.

It was also wonderful to hear the Welsh language being spoken while we were out and about, both by adults and children. I have the greatest respect for anyone who can speak a language, which when written, looks as though someone has had their fingers on the wrong keys. When spoken it is easy to believe that everyone born Welsh can sing.

Bertie stood up well to the extremely cold weather conditions. The new heating thermostat that we had fitted does exactly what the manufacturer promised. It is often difficult to get the heating just right in a caravan but we could not wish for a better system. In view of the overnight temperatures dropping below zero, Howard had also rigged up an on board water arrangement. A couple of home brew barrels, a length of flexi water pipe and a pump - I cannot fault him for ingenuity, and it worked without leaks and spillages.

Exciting news arrived this week - I have my leave of absence confirmed in writing. I phoned Howard from the office to let him know and by the time I got home the Shuttle was booked for the last day of July. My work colleagues are now aware of what we are going to do and they have been very supportive. Only 4 more working weeks to Easter and then only 6 working weeks to Spring Bank Holiday and then only 6 more working weeks to the end of the academic year. In total only 22 weeks before we go !!! How scary is that?

Love to you.

Hilda & Howard

P.S. Howard was very pleased with the bobble hat. It’s amazing how many bits of left over wool you’ve been able to integrate into the design - you have truly developed a skill there.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb