Small Festivals Fairs and Summer Events in Snowdonia North Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Gwynedd
May 30th 2012
Published: May 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A lot of the larger events like Wakestock, The National Eisteddfod and the Royal Welsh Show already get a lot of attention and publicity. But I though it might be nice to promote some of the smaller more local fun days that we’ve enjoyed in the past.

Ffair Criccieth, 29th of June. A summer fair has been held in this pretty seaside town for over 100 years. Winding streets lined with market stalls lead you down to the town car park filled with Ferris wheels and candy floss.

Cytser are a theatre and production company based here in Snowdonia, North Wales. Every summer they organize some magical open air events in the grounds of Harlech Castle. They range from Shakespearian plays to musical pageants. This year, we’re particularly looking forward to Illyria Theater Company’s production of Rohl Dahl’s The Twits on the 25th of July.

The Sesiwn Fawr music festival began as a small celebration of Celtic music held every summer on the streets of Dolgellau. The event became hugely popular with renowned acts such as the Super Furry Animals, Cerys Matthews and The Levellers performing to a back drop of Cader idris and the Mawddach Valley. Sadly the event ran into financial difficulties some three years ago, but newly invigorated local volunteers are trying to revive the festival returning to a more low key but joyful event to be held on the 20-22nd of July.

The premier farming event in Wales is naturally the Royal Welsh Show in Builth Wells. But smaller county shows are also a great day out (and not as expensive). The Meirionnydd county show is to be held in Tywyn on the 22nd of August this year. It’s a great window onto rural farming life in wales with lots of opportunities to pet lambs, climb over large tractors and buy local welsh produce.

The local rugby club here in Harlech organize a demolition derby every summer. This year’s event is to be held on the 1st of August, first race starting at 6:30pm. Enry is £5 for adults, £1 for children. You’d have to be a little nuts to enter a car if you ask me. The drivers seem to throw caution to the wind as they tear around a field on Las Ynys Farm just to the north of the famous medieval town.

Barmouth Walking Festival takes place from Saturday the 15th to Monday the 24th of September. Barmouth is the perfect location for such a festival. The less well-trodden mountains of southern Snowdonia offer a true wild wilderness which is so rare in the UK these days. Walking off the beaten track is made much easier by the company of a guide with knowledge of the route, wildlife and landscape. If nothing else it takes the stress out of map reading.

Gwyl Gwrw Llanbedr, Llanbedr Beer Festival is another great village event. Locally brewed real ales as well as local entertainment over the course of a weekend. This years event is to be held on the 21st and 22nd of September.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.424s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb