Climbing Snowdon


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Gwynedd » Snowdon
May 3rd 2008
Published: May 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

First visit to Wales to climb Snowdon (our second of the UK 3 peaks, after completing Scafell pike last September). Weather was a bit rough but we were determined to do it after not being able to complete Ben Nevis in March due to too much snow and ice.

There was still little patches of snow up the top, and the walk up the miners path was super, past two lakes, I could imagine in summer it would be even more beautiful. We did come off the main path a bit though and it ended up a tad treachorous but got through it ok but it was scary. It was satisfying to get to the top and Im glad the railway was not running otherwise we may have cheated and caught it back down. It was very busy on Snowdon, much more than Scafell pike.

We stayed in Llanberis at the Lake View Hotel, which is about a 5 minute walk just outside llanberis. This little hotel was run by a very friendly couple and a lovely dog who liked to stand behind the bar. The rooms were cosy and the food was good homecooked style meals. Llanberis itself was a colourful town, with the buildings painted in different bright colours. There was not many restaurants in Llanberis and we realised that as we had not booked the Indian in advance we were left with very few obvious choices so managed to get some pub food that was not too good but did the job. It was lovely to hear the welsh language and great how kids and young people are keeping their language alive.

We took a short trip into Caernarfon to see the imposing castle. It was a very picturesque town and almost completely welsh spoken.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb