Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Cardiff
January 11th 2016
Published: January 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cardiff


After a minor disaster with a cancelled booking, we checked into our 2 bed apartment on Cathedral Road Cardiff. We were very happy with the location as it was within walking distance to the city centre.

The following day, we ventured out and walked to Cardiff Castle. The sun was shining which made the visit very pleasant and provided great photos. Conor enjoyed the War Museum and the bomb shelter which is inside the exterior Castle walls. The rooms are very ornate with beautiful stained glass windows.

We then mosied along the city streets and arcades. We came across the Cardiff Markets and went in for a look. They seem a lot smaller than I remember and I think the quality of the goods on sale has dropped. We bought a bag of welsh cakes which now come in a variety of flavours, and munched on them as we wandered around. It's from here that I talked Andrew into buying faggots to try later for tea.

Because Conor has been hanging out to spend some money, we drove out to Brigend to visit the outlet stores. It's like a little village of shops which are set out really nicely. They even have a Cadbury outlet store which of course money was spent there !

As Conor had picked up a cough and wasn't feeling too great, he dozed on the couch the following morning while Andrew walked into town for a haircut. Conor was feeling a bit better by lunchtime, so we went two doors down to The Cricketers Arms for lunch. We really liked it here and had welsh cider and welsh rarebit.

Afterwards, we drove down to Cardiff Bay and we had a little walk around. It was bitterly cold with the wind blowing of the water so we didn't stay long.

The next day, we drove out to places where family members were from and the houses they lived in. We visited Pontypridd and Pontypandy. We coulnt believe how close the houses are built to the road. Step out the door and risk getting run over. The cars really fly by. The winding country lanes are fairly disconcerting.

We then, continued on to Swansea just to see the sea. It was very uninspiring as the water was way out and brown. People were still out jogging on the beach even though it was quite cold. Further along, we drove to Mumbles and had lunch in the George Hotel overlooking Bracelet Bay. The Mumbles is a quaint seaside village and much nicer than Swansea.

Even though it was getting late in the day, we decided to drive out to Lampeter to find the Inn that was owned by my ancestors in the 1800's. It's called the Fish and Anchor and we wanted to stop in and have a drink. It took an hour to drive there, only to find it no longer operated as an Inn. Oh well, I took a photo anyway.

After checking out the next day, we drove up through the Brecon Beacons on the way to Derby. Very picturesque with the mist coming down the mountains. There were quite a few people out walking and cycling even though it was drizzling a little. We stopped in Brecon which is a lovely little village with cute shops and cafes. It's where Andrew had found the best cup of coffee so far on this trip. He had been disapointed with the standard so far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Cardiff MarketsCardiff Markets
Cardiff Markets

Does it come with chips ?
Rhondda ValleyRhondda Valley
Rhondda Valley

Pontypridd


12th January 2016

You must be the only people in the UK wishing it would snow!! You'll probably see some in Scotland, if not before. Hope Conor's recovered? Hope you enjoy meeting all the rellies in Liverpool - and the football match, of course. Margaret x

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb