Golf Royal Porthcawl Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Bridgend » Porthcawl
May 27th 2019
Published: June 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Blog 4 Golfing – ticking off a few of the courses in the top 100 in the world that are on our Bucket List

Monday 27th May – our big day at Royal Porthcawl – Wales.



What a day this was. Awoke to a very windy day with passing showers. Got our gear together for all types of weather and drove up to Porthcawl. Visited the old town centre on our way to golf. Tiny streets and cottages dating back to the 16 and 1700’s. Every place is still inhabited and beautifully maintained.

Drove up to the course and called at the proshop where we were told that lunch was to be provided for us in the Dining Room. The surprises continued when we arrived at the Front door and there was a welcome sign for Mr Guymer (not Mrs but then the booking was in Graham’s name). Feeling very surprised we went into the old Club bar which looked directly onto the ocean – there was a large telescope and a wonderful memorabilia wall. The bar manager welcomed us and told us they were preparing a luncheon for us before tee off – phew you don’t get this at Gungahlin Lakes! While the food was being prepared we were taken on a full tour of the club house – they are very happy to welcome overseas visitors here – never seen this kind of welcome at Royal Canberra!! Before being taken to lunch they took a photo of us standing with the Captains Trophy, an original James Braid putter. (James won the first British Open many years ago!)



Then we were off to the dining room where an incredible meal was awaiting us – set up with a lovely Gin and Tonic for Leanne and a wine for Graham. We were astounded and all we could think was how are we going to play golf after this! Well the answer was soon clear. We headed out to the first tee and the wind was howling straight off the Irish Sea and the balls were going everywhere. Graham got his drive away well but mine was a bit wild to say the least. It is a lovely course and it follows the sea around the bay. Walkers have a path beside the course and many families were out walking their dogs and flying kites. So different to our courses at home.



The course was playing really tough because of the wind but also there are a number of very long carries off the tees over dense heather. As the game progressed we found the blind shots a bit of a challenge. It is always hard playing a new course when you cannot see the fairway. The wind was very challenging and the course was by far the most difficult course we have played on this trip. What an experience Royal Porthcawl in Wales turned out to be.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.449s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb